Recording electronic kit into logic as midi

• Members

Hey my band is doing some pre production demoing and we wanted to just record some of our rough ideas. We have an electronic drum set available that we wanted to use and trigger ezdrummer instead of dealing with micing a live set. How do you go about setting this up in logic? We have the midi cable going from the set to the interface and are using logic. Also how would you set it up so that you are using the drum sounds from ezdrummer? I have never recorded midi before or used drum triggers so this is new to me.

• Members

add a track and select 'software instrument' instead of 'audio'

go to input of the track and find EZdrummer... it'll probably come up under 'AU instruments'

make sure your track is set to record

give it a whirl... i'm not sure what setting up (midi mapping) you'll need to do in EZdrummer... i use bfd2... there's usually stuff on youtube that'll help guide you

• Members

add a track and select 'software instrument' instead of 'audio'

go to input of the track and find EZdrummer... it'll probably come up under 'AU instruments'

make sure your track is set to record

give it a whirl... i'm not sure what setting up (midi mapping) you'll need to do in EZdrummer... i use bfd2... there's usually stuff on youtube that'll help guide you

Hm im on my way to practice now we will give it a shot.

• Members

so how'd it go?

one other tip with logic and midi

if you're just playing along to the track and haven't hit record... once you stop playback if you hit control-option-command-R at the same time, what you've just played will show up... it won't work if you rewind the play head back to the start though

as someone that records myself... i find it really useful as far as the whole 'freezing up after hitting record' thing goes... i just jam along and when i play something i dig, i can make it magically appear :)... i wish it worked for audio too

Archived