Can hear spring noise while playing unplugged.

LookingForDD20

• Members

Just what the title says. It's almost like its own built-in reverb tank. I can't be certain until I plug it in again, but I could have sworn I could hear it through my amp as well.

The strat in question is missing its backplate, however I don't have the problem on my other strat, which is also missing a backplate. Both strats have three springs hooked up.

• Members

Originally posted by LookingForDD20

Just what the title says. It's almost like its own built-in reverb tank. I can't be certain until I plug it in again, but I could have sworn I could hear it through my amp as well.

The strat in question is missing its backplate, however I don't have the problem on my other strat, which is also missing a backplate. Both strats have three springs hooked up.

Turn the reverb up slightly and you will never notice it. Or, spray the springs with WD40.

• Members

Originally posted by StratAttackJack

Strats do that man. Thats why many people don't like hardtail versions even if they NEVER use the trem. When you say its like a built in reverb- you're right on the money. It will be more apparent in some strats and less in others, but its what makes a strat a strat.

Weird. Guess I just never noticed before.

This one is REALLY apparent.

• Members

Originally posted by jrockbridge

Another solution is to disable the whammy. You can use wood shims to wedge the whammy in place. Or, you may be able to lower the bridge against the body, tighten the springs, adjust the saddles, and set the intonation to disable it that way.

I just got this strat, so I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but the bridge is against the body and the springs are tight.

• Members

Originally posted by jrockbridge

So, the whammy is completely against the body and disabled so that you can't use it at all?

It doesn't matter if the bridge is "locked down" or not. You'll still get that reverby sound from the springs.

Anyway, I remember a forumite posting some DIY fix that he did. You could always stick some cotton balls or something similar back there to damp the springs...maybe some acoustic foam.

Personally, I think it's one of the cool thing about Strats.

However, I'm getting a weird ringing on my Tele when I mute the G string after playing it (just the G string) that sounds similar to that of the springs in a Strat. I haven't figured that one out...must be the saddle.

• Members

I just stuff some toilet paper behind/inbetween the springs, and no more unwanted springy reverb. :thu:

Steve Vai uses washcloths or something along those lines to deal with it on his guitars. Or some of them at least. Or he used to. I dunno, I'm not a fan but I saw it on his site a few years back. So then I tried toilet paper. And it worked just fine.

• Members

I can hear the springs ring on ALL my trem equipt guitars... it amazes me you guys can't.

I always get two small pieces of soft foam, about 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 inch, and put it between the springs... quiet.

//////////////////////////

--------\\\

---------\\\

Ignore the "-------" I couldn't get the spaces....

• Members

People give me {censored} on youtube for my video about the springs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jacvN8BhrgY

I just wanted to find the noise, some people dont even hear it. When you play one style of guitar for a while then go to a fender with twangy strings and you hear these strange noises it can drive you nuts till you figure out whats going on.

Is it the amp? the strings? the pickups? ohoh the springs!:confused:

They can cause feedback cant they?

Archived