Do i get a tele or a jazzmaster?

ThrillOfItAll

• Members

I know i'm gonna get a new guitar soon, but this is the decision i have to make. I like both guitars, but am not sure which to go with.

I need something that can do smooth clean sounds, but also get really crunchy. If i had to say what the two sounds are, i'd say alternating between a radiohead/coldplay clean and a thursday/thrice dirty.

any suggestions?

i currently have a les paul studio that i love, so i'm just looking for additional color, especially in the clean department

• Members

Originally posted by ThrillOfItAll

I know i'm gonna get a new guitar soon, but this is the decision i have to make. I like both guitars, but am not sure which to go with.

I need something that can do smooth clean sounds, but also get really crunchy. If i had to say what the two sounds are, i'd say alternating between a radiohead/coldplay clean and a thursday/thrice dirty.

any suggestions?

i currently have a les paul studio that i love, so i'm just looking for additional color, especially in the clean department

both have a specific sound.

i'd suggest listening to bands that use them.

i'd say a jm is smoother; teles are twangy.

both are great at nice vintage-style overdrive.

tele: frank black (pixies), springsteen, alan sparhawk (low)

jm: sonic youth, elvis costello, talking heads, raveonettes

thom yorke plays jm's and teles, and j greenwood plays a tele but it's with a HB in the bridge.

• Members

I've got OK Computer but couldn't identify any Tele tones on it that I recall and the other bands I'm not familiar with. Of course the Stratocaster is the most popular Fender used in Rock and the most versatile IMO. Bands like Credence, The Stones and REM as well as countless Country acts have been known to use Teles for that charactaristic bite and twang. The Jazzmaster seems to be gaining ground among alternative bands and Blues Artists like Magic Slim and Nick Moss.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

both have a specific sound.

i'd suggest listening to bands that use them.

i'd say a jm is smoother; teles are twangy.

both are great at nice vintage-style overdrive.

tele: frank black (pixies), springsteen, alan sparhawk (low)

jm: sonic youth, elvis costello, talking heads, raveonettes

thom yorke plays jm's and teles, and j greenwood plays a tele but it's with a HB in the bridge.

i didn't know alan sparhawk played a tele. crazy.

but yeah, i mean, i use a mesa dual rectifier and i got it sounding nice clean with reverb, delay and that jazz. but if i use a JM how gnarly could the dirty tones be? i mean i know tom from thursday now uses a tele most of the time, i should just ask him next week when i see them. but yeah..i'm not sure.

• Members

I think Yorke typically plays a Tele Deluxe that has 2 Humbuckers (although I could be wrong).

If you can probably get good crunch tones but you'd probably have to mess around with your EQ. Like your EQ in clean would be very different than your dirty EQ. That's the only problem I would see, is that your EQ for your dirty might not sound that great for your clean if you use an amp with multiple channels and 1 EQ set or one particular pedal.

I have no idea if that rant made any sense.

• Members

Choose what you want for the clean tones.
Distortion and fuzz crunch can be acheived no matter what guitar you have. Hell my fuzz pedal with the gain jacked up will make anything sound the same.

Anyway, There are a whole {censored}ton of Punk and Indy bands that use both Teles and JM's.

Clean tones are where its at!

Anyway, heres a small clip of some crunchy tele action.
Tele

Bonus points to anyone that knows what band and or song this is from. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by ThrillOfItAll

i didn't know alan sparhawk played a tele. crazy.

but yeah, i mean, i use a mesa dual rectifier and i got it sounding nice clean with reverb, delay and that jazz. but if i use a JM how gnarly could the dirty tones be? i mean i know tom from thursday now uses a tele most of the time, i should just ask him next week when i see them. but yeah..i'm not sure.

hell yeah.

that's sparhawk's sound. his main guitar is a sunburst tele with a bigsby and a mini-hb in the neck.

when i saw low this summer he played the entire show on an esquire, which has just one pickup at the bridge. but the range of sounds he got was incredible. beautiful show.

i like the dirty jm sound. the pups aren't very hot so the notes keep their clarity--a very open sound. listen to thuston moore (sonic youth) and dinosaur jr. of course, if the stock ones are not hot enough s duncan makes hotter jm pups.

• Members

i've owned both. I still have a tele. It just has a better all around feel/sound. If i'm rich i'll get another jazzmaster someday (actually i'd probably go with a jag next time). The jazzmaster did have a very nice warm/rich rhythm sound though. For heavy distortion it was very puny sounding

Archived