Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue - Opinions?

Fightingmike

• Members

I am thinking about getting one, just wondering what people think about them from personal experience? I really like the way humbuckers sound in Tele's. I am curious as to how they sound compared to what i am playing now, a Schecter TSH-1 w/ a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. How do the Fender humbuckers sound?

• Members

I don't know enough about the Schecter with the SDs, but I love the look of mine and the quality is superior to most MIMs I've seen. It's solid. I'd say you'd get the best tone out of the Fender HBs with a brighter, British-style amp (Vox/Laney/Orange). The HBs are a bit dark, a lot of people around here suggest upgrading the pots, but since I'm almost clinically retarded :freak:, I'm not going to attempt this. I'm selling mine only because there's a certain Custom Shop Strat that's been taunting me with its exquisite beauty.

Oh yes, it will be mine.

• Members

Great playing, mediocre sounding.

There's lots of threads here about that guitar. It's shame the search isn't working.

But the spiel is basically that the Reissues don't have the tone of the original electronics.

I have one myself that I bought used from another forumite who grew less than thrilled with it.

A common mod is to simply change out the potentiometers to 500K or 1meg to open up the sound a bit more.

There's not a lot of replacement pickups out there with the same dimensions. Rio Grande makes some, but that's about it.

• Members

The RI buckers suck. And there is NO substitute for the orig PUs, which go for about $250 each on Ebay, if you are patient. BTW, the Thinline blows the Deluxe away. Body is much more resonant with the one f hole thing. I have a 74 Custom w orig bucker and SC as well as a 72 RT Thinline w orig buckers. My buddy has a MINT all orig '76 Deluxe. His Deluxe doesnt sound as good as my MIM Thinline RI w/ the same PUs as his... :-)

Archived