Restringing problem

eddidaz

• Members

I replaced the strings yesterday on my new G&L S-500 the first time since I got it.

Problem is, the G string sounds very harsh when played open or fretted - much harsher than the other strings and the previous G string.

The A string is also buzzing when played unfretted. It's a weird kind of buzzing as it's not on the frets but appears to be buzzing at the bridge. I can only hear it unplugged though, as far as I can tell it sounds fine through my amp.

Any ideas? I've never had any restringing troubles before and so am not sure what to do.

• Members

adjust your pickup height for the g string (lower it) and for the buzzing a string, try highering the action a little.

if that doesn't work, loosen up the truss rod a bit. you may have to readjust action and intonation but it should get rid of the buzzing. if not, your nut is cut too low and it may have to be replased.

• Members

Thanks for suggestions.

I'm fairly familiar with what those adjustments are, just not the technical side of actually doing them. How much would a shop charge for doing them? Are they difficult to do? Any links to show me how?

Not too sure what strings came with the guitar. They don't feel too different to the 10s I put on, but I have a feeling they might have been a 9 guage.

• Members

Originally posted by eddidaz

Thanks for suggestions.

I'm fairly familiar with what those adjustments are, just not the technical side of actually doing them. How much would a shop charge for doing them? Are they difficult to do? Any links to show me how?

Not too sure what strings came with the guitar. They don't feel too different to the 10s I put on, but I have a feeling they might have been a 9 guage.

Check the G&L website for setup instructions / specs.

If you can't find them there, use the info from the Fender website on Strat setups:

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php

• Members

Most new guitars come with 9's (extra Lights). There are tons of good reasons why manufacturers do that.

If you changed to 10's but cannot handle the adjustments, I'd run, not walk to a tech. Otherwise, change back to 9's

PS: Someday you WILL have to learn how to adjust your guitar. You might as well start sooner than later.

Archived