Jimi Hendrix invented SRV

brave_ulysses

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SRV was a 1-4-5 master. I love the walking bass lines he sometimes adds in his playing. Very solid. He def' had alot of influences. From what I have read here and there, he mentions his brother, Hendrix and Abert King as his main influences. The King and Hendrix are easy to hear in his playing. Nothing wrong with that. Not a HUGE fan of SRV...I am more of a pre-brit invasion blues type stuff. BUT it cant be denied that SRV is a blues legend. :cool:

• Members

I can listen to Hendrix's records. The guy did all that post-Beatles experimentation stuff and broke as much ground with recording music as he did with playing it.

I can watch SRV but I have tried to listen to his records and they just don't do it for me.

• Members
Originally posted by p4vl

Leo Fender invented both of them. So what?

Leo didn't even play. Of course Jimmy Bryant was the one who gave Leo the feedback he needed to finish the Tele. And like it or not, Jimmy would've taken anybody mentioned in this thread to school.

Deal with it. :p

• Members
Originally posted by Burgess

Leo didn't even play. Of course Jimmy Bryant was the one who gave Leo the feedback he needed to finish the Tele. And like it or not, Jimmy would've taken anybody mentioned in this thread to school.

Deal with it.
:p

Oh, of course he would have been blown off of the stage by either of them, even at their respective heights of addiction. But SRV playing a Goldtop LP? Hendrix playing an archtop? Seems wrong to me.

Not that Leo Fender is a direct influence on either players' style, but the Stratocaster was their weapon of choice for their best material. Just sayin' is all....

• Members
Originally posted by p4vl

Oh, of course he would have been blown off of the stage by either of them, even at their respective heights of addiction. But SRV playing a Goldtop LP? Hendrix playing an archtop? Seems wrong to me.

Not that Leo Fender is a direct influence on either players' style, but the Stratocaster was their weapon of choice for their best material. Just sayin' is all....

Yeah, I'm always taken aback when I see photos of either playing something other than a Strat.

• Members

Albert King was the cornerstone for a lot of players out there, now. Roy Buchanan loved him. Some player, Mr. Buchanan was.

What I love about both Jimi and SRV is that their rhythm work was just as good (great) as the leads. They were so great.

I was in Manny's one day, checking out a Strat. Had just put it down and in comes this non-descript guy. Sales guy sets him up a couple of amps away from me, with a then new Korg guitar synth. After a couple of licks I look at the salesguy and say "Hey...he sounds like Stevie on a synth". This "non-descript guy" smiles, switches to clear tone, and plays this unbelievable riff. I look up and practically everybody in the store's standing there; eyes popping out of their heads.

Some experience. Just listening to him for about 10-15 minutes, playing licks on a synth, was awesome. And he was so good about it. Kept on playing like we weren't even there. Just another player in the store, checking out some gear. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by guitapick

...I was in Manny's one day, checking out a Strat. Had just put it down and in comes this non-descript guy. Sales guy sets him up a couple of amps away from me, with a then new Korg guitar synth. After a couple of licks I look at the salesguy and say "Hey...he sounds like Stevie on a synth". This "non-descript guy" smiles, switches to clear tone, and plays this unbelievable riff. I look up and practically everybody in the store's standing there; eyes popping out of their heads.

Some experience. Just listening to him for about 10-15 minutes, playing licks on a synth, was awesome. And he was so good about it. Kept on playing like we weren't even there. Just another player in the store, checking out some gear.
:cool:

So I'm confused...

Was it SRV playing the synth? :confused:

Archived