How to tell the difference between an American Strat and a Mexican/Japanese

Dartonio

• Members

Is there anyway to tell apart an American Strat from a Japanese or Mexican other than those stickers Fender put on the body of the guitar? Is there a "Made in..." on the guitar anywhere?

Just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped of.

• Members

The quick way to tell (other than the obvious "Made in..." decal)

Modern American Strats (excluding signature models) have a 2 point bridge, roller/rounded string trees and 22 frets.

All others (barring few exceptions) use vintage 6 screw bridges, vintage string trees and 21 frets.

• Members

Originally posted by beardog

You most likely have a Japanese Fender with the EE serial numbers. 86-87 saw about 80-85% of all Fenders coming from Japan if memory serves me right.

Funny thing is it says MADE IN USA on headstock. Also it was bought new from Steve's music in Toronto........they are a pretty big f'ing outfit.

EDIT: I believe it was the first or second year that they had the "American Standard" strat.

• Members

You should be ableto get an answer from Fender Cust. Serv. They might take a little while but they helped me to date one from that time. Mine didn't say made in USA or JAPAN, but did have the EE serial number. They determand it was a Japanese Standard, and even mentioned it would have most likely had a Kahler(sp?) trem. Never got an explination to how they identified it, but I took theyer word. That was also where I got the info about the high percentage of them comming out of Japan.

Archived