condenser mic vs SM 57 for guitar

• Members

I have two 57s from my band days . Was wondering if condensers work better for recording . I need to record at a very low volume . Results w/ 57s are dismal to just ok . I can get a guitar sound as ok with modeling software though so why bother ? The recorded sound using mic is never as good as the actual sound coming out the amp .Be nice if it was vice-versa .

• Members

granchton wrote:

I have two 57s from my band days . Was wondering if condensers work better for recording . I need to record at a very low volume . Results w/ 57s are dismal to just ok . I can get a guitar sound as ok with modeling software though so why bother ? The recorded sound using mic is never as good as the actual sound coming out the amp .Be nice if it was vice-versa .

This is my personal experience. I thought very little of 57s, using just about anything else in their place. I finally got some really nice mic preamps (Peavey VMP-2, Neve preamps, etc.) and one day, ran out of mics for a big session, so I tried out a 57 on guitar. Dayam, it sounded MUCH better with my Neve preamp than I ever had remembered it sounding with a Mackie preamp.

Since then, I've begun using it on snares and other stuff, even trying it on a bass amp once when I didn't need as much bottom end. And you know, I think that those mics don't suck after all.....they sound darn good.

As far as condensers or whatever vs. 57s for guitar cabs, the short answer is: it depends.

I love condensers on guitar cabs, but I especially love them when they are not real bright but are thick and full, and I especially *especialoly* love them when using a clean sound. But for distorted sounds, I quite frequently reach for a Heil PR30, a 57 or a 421, and if I owned a beyerdynamic M201, I'd reach for that as well. And sometimes I use a large diaphragm condenser such as a Lawson L251 or an Audio-Technica AT4060, all of which do a nice job.

Recording guitar cabs is really not rocket science. Almost any decent mic which is not absurdly bright will work. Just move the mic around or adjust the settings on your amp and/or guitar, and you should be able to nail the sound. Farther out from the cone produces a darker sound; closer to the cone produces a brighter sound. Farther away produces less proximity effect in cardioid-patterned microphones. I mean, it's not that big of a deal. Throw on some headphones, have someone play guitar, and move the mic around until it sounds GREAT. Don't get hung up on one mic, one position, one anything...you'll get better over time. 

Good guitar recordings from a cab are mostly about the player, guitar, amp, choices of guitar settings and amp settings, the room, the microphone position, the mic selection, and the quality of the mic preamp, probably more or less in that order.

• Members

Oh, and a big mistake that many people make? They often use too much distortion or record too loudly thinking it'll sound burlier or bigger. It's often just the opposite. Not TOO much distortion, and not TOO loud that you are obliterating the room, making everything rattle, causing odd resonances, and overtaxing the equipment.

Archived