These "Overstock.com" deals...

Marko

• Members

Good question.

I've only used Overstock before for buying books or DVDs. I've never thought of checking their site for guitars.

I suppose these deals could be guitars that were returned to other online sellers like MF or AMS.

But, I'm getting a guitar for $104 that MF sells for $250. Frets99 has one & loves it.

It's a gamble, but I like the odds.

• Members

Fair question. There appears to be a fair bit of over-supply in guitars these days with everyone from WalMart to my local drug-store getting into the business. Manufacturers can only ram so much into the retail channel before retailers start going bust from aged payables they can't meet. Music123 going bankrupt/bought by MFGC is an ominous sign. This leaves places like Overstock.com to pick up the excess capacity and move it well below cost. I expect this will be a gloomy holiday selling season and Overstock will have even more and better deals into January and February. But if you see something you like and it's available at a price that makes sense I say go for it.

Just a hunch, so don't bank on it.

• Members

I like and appreciate Verne Andru's take on this.

There must be several factories in Asia pumping these things out by the thousands.

How many $100 guitars does anybody really need or have room for?

It's starting to look like a case of excess production.

I suspect the question will soon be how many $50 guitars do you have room for?

Archived