I have a business idea, but I'm not sure how to implement it

Thrustin

• Members

It looks shady to me honestly. Although 10 bucks a minute doesn't really sound bad, consider a whole album.

Say 10 songs all averaging about 4 minutes. That's 400 dollars.

You say it's cheap, but in the end, it really isn't. Any small band that doesn't have a label and all that wouldn't be able to shell out 400 bucks an album. Plus, any band that is organized enough to write music will usually have a drummer.

Your client audience is going to be more than likely upcoming artists, who aren't making money to play music. For 400 bucks, I could put that toward a ton of gear or other needs. I just don't think you thought your price out very well. I think you over value your time.

Most session drummers I know charge 100-300 dollars per track. 400 bucks for 10 songs is a screaming deal.

• Members

The follow reply is bound to offend someone. You've been warned. It is also possibly a tangent from the thread.

It's standard procedure to record to a click.
:idk:

For serious professionals, yes. For people serious about producing good music that other people will enjoy listening to again and again, yes.

But for people that aren't serious, consider themselves artistes (pronounced ar-teests), that are lazy or are trying to be trendy, the end result is something that won't be listened to a second time.

I have been a musicians since age 10 in a church setting. I watch people and how they respond. In all those years, it is the songs with a consistent rhythm that they enjoy the most. A consistent tempo, predictable...whether it is an irish air, a rock ballad, a gospel hymn, a blues jam, Yanni holding a drone note for 10 minutes...the general masses know what sounds good. Things like completing chords, finishing your musical sentence, etc.

Bobby McFerrin did a wonderful experiment live on stage with the crowd on hand that shows the musical instinct that exists in all of us. He lead the crowd through some notes, then jumped to a new note he did not prepare them for...and they did it correctly. They "knew" what it should have sounded like, and they were correct.

The same goes for tempo.

Music speaks to the heart, the brain, the soul. The tempo, the rhythm...they are integral parts the experience.

• Members

I have been a musicians since age 10 in a church setting. I watch people and how they respond. In all those years, it is the songs with a consistent rhythm that they enjoy the most. A consistent tempo, predictable...

That's so they can clap on the 1 and 3.

• Members

That's so they can clap on the 1 and 3.

*falls down laughing*

Oh, God, if it were not so true!

But, not just for the fast songs, but the slow songs and other tempos, the songs they wouldn't normally clap to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm almost through the new version of the 4-Hour Workweek and I think the author has good advice on testing the viability of a product. It's a bit different, because his advice is geared towards selling a product, rather than a service, but I think the underlying lessons are transferable.

• Members

I think what you're asking is reasonable, but I can get a number of kick ass drummers in my area that will do a "session" which usually runs 4 hours for about $150, as there are so many drummers out of work in my area. And if you're stuff is already fleshed out, you can get almost every track on your project done considering how complicated it is. Although on my last CD needed 2 sessions. So you're not out of the ball park.....

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hej man !

I almost cried when i saw your post :) It's not so simple to make money like this !

1. Most of the top producers are using virtual instruments even in the heavy stage .

2. The virtual instruments today are armed with HiEnd samples recorded in a HiEnd studios !

3. To make a real deal with this you MUST have award wining drumset , HiEnd microphones and rock solid world clock I/O digital interface at least digi 003. That costs around 10.000$

4. If you ask me it's much more comfortable to record my drums when i want it without all the problems that the real sets do to the wave line .

Trust me to record real drums is a complicated and expensive thing even in the big studios !

• Members

I will be frank. I'm not taking a swipe at you here though ok?

I would not use your service. The quality of drum sound that I can program myself these days makes your service too expensive for me, regardless of how reasonable your rates may be.

I have a budget that I must work within. I need to allocate my funds correctly. The "drum sound" that you would need to provide in order for me to move you into the "plus" category would be beyond your means. You would have to sound like a million bucks for me to chose you over the current free options available to me.

Sorry.

Quality of your drum sound doesn't matter, you still sound like a casio keyboard. Get a drummer buddy.

• Members
Hej man !

I almost cried when i saw your post
:)
It's not so simple to make money like this !

2. The virtual instruments today are armed with HiEnd samples recorded in a HiEnd studios !

3. To make a real deal with this you MUST have award wining drumset , HiEnd microphones and rock solid world clock I/O digital interface at least digi 003. That costs around 10.000$

Bullsh!t. Drummers skills are the most important part.

• Members

Live, acoustic drums cannot be replicated.

While in the end, that is true - A lot of replicated drums are entirely realistic to a degree that most listeners would never know, and not care if they did-

Now.. I might hire someone to program the damn drum tracks, as I find that work to be tedious -but in many cases, I'd prefer to use a replicated drum track.

• Members

There's a middle ground too - drummer playing triggered kit

even that doesn't have to be either/or

fully triggered kick

hybrid snare (acoustic supplemented with outboard sounds)

acoustic hi-hat

just as an example

• Members

Marketing a service like this may be difficult. Since there are so many options now for drums (trigger from Midi, loops ect...) but here are a few ideas.

Advertise in Facebook, you can target songwriters and it should be less expensive then Google Adwords.

Try going to a local songwriters association. Do you have on in the city you live in?

Go to gigs where there are just a few musicians playing (like two guitar players) and no percussion and talk to them, tell them what you are doing. They may hire you to record some drum tracks that they can use on their live shows!

Good luck!

Archived