Brian May Red Special - Versatile?

Jokoker

• Members

To those who know: How is the guitar out of it's element? What I mean is - Away from the Deacy amp/Vox/whatever combo. Just curious, I'm not looking to recreate Brian's tone. This is a very particular instrument, in that it's burned into my memory as that legendary sound; I think Red Special, I think Queen. Wheras teles, strats, Les Pauls are all common and I don't need to wonder about how they sound through modelers, fenders, etc... You know, your everyday setups.

Edit: Versatile is probably the wrong word to use, as it depends on the player, but I hope you know what I mean. :)

Thanks.

• Members

I had a Burns Brian May for a while... Actually, for a few years. It was a pretty neat guitar - lots of options, and it sure got some stares at gigs.

I found that sound-wise it was excellent - it could sound like a strat, a paul, a tele - you name it. Great versatility. Feel-wise it was also pretty sweet - a good solid but fast neck, and light chambered body.

There was one problem, though... On a dark-ish stage, you can't see the switches - so it was very easy to get confused, to shut the guitar off by accident (yes, you can turn off all three pickups), etc. I got it because I wanted something versatile, and in the end it was too complex and I sold it for a Les Paul :D So, take from that what you will.

• Members

Thanks Josh. :) Very interesting read, especially the Les Paul comment.

I ordered an Edwards from Ishibashi last week, and I just received an email that it's been backordered until February. So I'm cancelling and on the hunt again. I've terrible luck with guitars lately.

• Members

What I like: (Guild)

- single volume and tone controls

- moderate vibrato

- zero fret

- out-of-phase switches

- rare and cool-looking

- neck adjustment works well

What I don't like:

- bridge pickup pretty trebley by itself

- if jack loosens you have to take off the pickguard

So, I have two, like them, and either set the amp for a good bridge-pickup sound and live with the rest or a good bridge-middle sound and roll treble off the bridge alone.

Note, if you are used to Ibanez wizard necks, this will feel like a Jeff Beck baseball bat!

BrianM2.jpg

Archived