Best roller bridge for use with a bigsby is...

Vince

• Members

The Schaller has adjustable string spacing. I think most do.

I just stuck the Schaller on a guitar of mine and it sucks dick. Worst tone ever, real buzzy. The string radius is not really a "radius" but really just two flat spots. I wouldn't recommend it, esp for the outlandish price. I am going to replace it with a TOM! Don't even try it on anything with less than a 12" radius.

I have an old Hagstrom roller on another guitar and it works pretty good.

• Members

I put the one from guitar fetish on my electromatic. had to drill out the holes for the studs, and drilled right through the ground wire. Dowgh!! :mad:

Anyway after a few hours of trying to fish a new ground wire in it works pretty good. I did go to 11's from 10's far a strings go. Don't know if that would make a difference? Probally not. But, it does seem to stay in tune better, wich was the whole point anyway. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by CrackerD

The Schaller has adjustable string spacing. I think most do.

I just stuck the Schaller on a guitar of mine and it sucks dick. Worst tone ever, real buzzy. The string radius is not really a "radius" but really just two flat spots. I wouldn't recommend it, esp for the outlandish price. I am going to replace it with a TOM! Don't even try it on anything with less than a 12" radius.

I have an old Hagstrom roller on another guitar and it works pretty good.

I actually like that bridge - a small drop of loctite on the roller/shaft after you get it in place will both stop the movement when changing strings and also quiet any rattle.

I have three guitars with them and they seem to work fine (two with Bigsby trems) but I appreciate your problems.

I have one of the Guiatrfetish roller bridges on one of my other guitars and it also seems to work fine, and it was pretty inexpensive.

Stew mac sells a few other roller bridges but I havent tried them.

AJC

• Members

Originally posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Mots of the guys over at Gretschpages don't like roller bridges, always cited as a source of buzzing and rattles:confused:

Hmm.. I hate to say, but I think I'd prefer a slight rattle that probably would'nt be picked up by the amp, to being out of tune which would be picked up:D

• Moderators

Originally posted by Vince

Hmm.. I hate to say, but I think I'd prefer a slight rattle that probably would'nt be picked up by the amp, to being out of tune which would be picked up:D

The favoured bridge, which has no tuning issues is the rocking bar bridge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRETSCH-CHROME-ROCKING-BAR-BRIDGE_W0QQitemZ300046673729QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33041QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300046673729

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

I actually like that bridge - a small drop of loctite on the roller/shaft after you get it in place will both stop the movement when changing strings and also quiet any rattle.

AJC

Great idea AJC, never thought of that!

However, most of the problems I've had relates more to trying to get a decent string radius. Due to the actual size of the rollers. If I were able to file the grooves separately, it might work. Or, if it is used on something with a very flat fretboard. It's as if there is no raidus, just two flat "steps". One step for the lower three strings, and one step for the upper three. So, I've got a 12" 'board, with the high and low E strings way up there, kwim?

I got my Schaller roller bridge from Bluenote music in Berkeley. They had a couple. The reason? They take them off all of the Heritage guitars they sell. The tone and playibilty of these guitars is much, much better with a TOM bridge, imo. The fellas there even warned me about them, but I insisted I could get it to work. I was terribly wrong!!

:thu:

• Members

I've used them all and I think the Schaller is the best built one.

I think the Guitarfetish and Stewart MacDonald are about the same. Ibanez also makes one for their Artcores with a "Bigsby"

You can order it as a spare part from most Guitar Centers.

It's pretty hard to get a roller bridge to rattle if theres a hold-down bar.

bigsby

Here's a Schalleron my Les Paul Special.

Archived