Any MOTU Mach Five Users?

WFTurner

• Members

Any MOTU Mach Five Users?

I fielded this question about a year ago when it was just being released on the windows platform.

I thought maybe now, more people have had a chance to start using it and would like to share any experience with this particular Soft Sampler.

1.How are the included stock sample libraries?

2.Is it resource hungry compared to other samplers you use?

3.How is user support?

4.How well does it import other sampler formats?

5. How intuitive are all the various

sections and views of the sampler if you like to play with setting on filters and oscillators or like to build your own sample libraries?

• Members

The included samples are nothing to write home about. Not that they're bad or anything, just ordinary,and a rather small selection, I thought. I wish they'ed have charged more and included something like colossus. All my akai and samplecell discs transfered perfectly. Speaking of samplecell, I miss working with it....

• Members

1.How are the included stock sample libraries?

What's there is good, but there's not a lot of it...I think the Kontakt 2 and Halion 3 included libraries are very good, for different reasons.

2.Is it resource hungry compared to other samplers you use?

About the same, if you downloaded the updates.

3.How is user support?

Never really had a reason to find out.

4.How well does it import other sampler formats?

The sample conversion is quite good, given the constraints involved in translation...

5. How intuitive are all the various

sections and views of the sampler if you like to play with setting on filters and oscillators or like to build your own sample libraries?

It's a single-screen interface, which really helps.

Frankly, I've used Mach5, wrote the manual for Kontakt 2, developed sample libraries for HALion, and used the NN-XT extensively. They have more similarities than differences, and your choice of one over another will have a lot more to do with details than anything else...for example, Kontakt 2 is the only sampler with really sophisticated scripting, but there's a LOT of scrolling around the interface compared to Mach5. HALion has great sounding filters and I think is quite underrated, but it's a meat-and-potatoes type of sampler as opposed to Kontakt's emphasis on sound design.

I consider Mach5 to be a multitimbral sample playback synth, in the sense that it's fast and intuitive, but of course you can load in your own samples -- you're not limited to a particular sample library.

• Members

Frankly, I've used Mach5, wrote the manual for Kontakt 2, developed sample libraries for HALion, and used the NN-XT extensively.

Thanks for the info Craig. Now that you mention it, I've been intriqued with how good the NN-XT can sound it's ease of tinkering with.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi

I'm having problems with MachFive soundbank. Every time I try to load anything from it, same message shows up:

"UVI engine error.

An error occured.

Problem loading presets...

Error ID: 30022"

I'm working on PC in Cubase SX3 using RME HDSP Hammerfall Multiface II soundcard. MachFive soundbank is not on system HDD.

Any suggestions?

Thnx in advance

Archived