one dead spot on part of one fret only...

bluesboy

• Members

so my girlfreind bought me a guitar for christmas, and i just got to play it last night for the first time. everything on it is really nice, but there is one dead spot on one fret where it buzzes really bad. Relief is ok, action is ok, etc. It's the 19th fret, on the D and A strings only (the D string is the worst). Any advice on how to fix it? It's a gorgeous guitar, and i would like to keep it.

Also, the neck looks straight as far as i could tell... maybe it's just one uneven fret?

Any advice would be helpful...

BTW it's an agile AL3000 in rootbeer

• Members

Originally posted by Cooley

the fact that you have a girl that knows about rondo is kickass in itself but anyway,have you tried changing the strings since ya got it....this happend to a jap strat i had and a simple string change fixed it for me

not yet... i will try to clean it, change the strings, and set it up, but i have a feeling the buzz will still be there. it's like a total dead spot.........

otherwise the guitar plays and feels (and looks) really nice

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

so my girlfreind bought me a guitar for christmas, and i just got to play it last night for the first time.

Wow, that's nice that its not even Christmas yet, and you get to play it. Nice girlfriend....

....I'll bet that it won't be expensive to repair. Good Luck.

• Members

A fret buzz and a dead note are two different things. Sounds like you have a fret buzz, which is much easier to fix. Take a short straightedge and see if you can rock it over the fret in front of the one that buzzes. If so, you've got a high fret. See if it's seated all the way down, if it's loose, etc. If it's just high, then it's a simple fix for any tech.

• Members

If you determine it is a high fret, try this simple fix before you take it to a tech. Take the string off, hold a small block of wood against the high fret, and lightly tap it down a few times with a hammer. Check it with a straight edge to make sure it doesn't rock back and forth anymore (credit cards are good for this). I've had good luck with this in the past. If it doesn't work after a few taps, then take it to a pro.

The important thing to remember is the high fret will be the one above the fret that buzzes when you press the string down on it. Make sure you are tapping down the right fret, or you will just make it worse.

• Members

Like someone else said, check to see if that fret is lower than the others or if the one after it is just a little too high. If it is too low than you are probably going to need to take it somewhere. If it is too high than tap it with a plastic headed hammer. You can check it by pressing on the string at the 15th and see if the string is hitting the 16th fret and then press it down at the 15th and 21st frets and see what else the string is hitting.

I just went through some of this, but with 2 frets.

It wasn't a twisted neck as someone else had tried to tell me. It was one high fret and one low one ( I checked with a straight edge).

I ended up having to level all of the frets from 15 to 21 because of the one low one. Not that big a deal, but you need a crowning file, something very precise for measuring flatness and something very flat for sanding. You also need something to polish the frets with. I ended up doing a gradual decrease in height for the upper frets. I saw a video by Dan Erliwine saying that this is how he does them. After about 6 different times because I was afraid of taking too much off I just went for it and it is probably the best player in the bunch I have now. The neck is almost dead straight and the action is almost too low for me. Very slight buzz on the low E string, but that is part of having low action.

• Members

well. we've decided to return the agile, and today she bought me a honeyburst epiphone LP stansard... it's really nice ( i tried out a few at guitar center) and decided to go with that one. Im really really happy with this one, and i think it looks as nice if not nicer as the agile. I love my girlfriend :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

well. we've decided to return the agile, and today she bought me a honeyburst epiphone LP stansard... it's really nice ( i tried out a few at guitar center) and decided to go with that one. Im really really happy with this one, and i think it looks as nice if not nicer as the agile. I love my girlfriend
:thu:

noice deal man...see girlfriends aint always bad:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by AndersonTech

Sounds like it might need some minor fret leveling.

Aye.

My USA Steinberger came like that, dead spot at the 9th fret on the b-string.

Took it in for a fret level and crown/polish and it plays fantastic now

Archived