String "Blowing"?

Manitou

• Members

Anyone ever try this before? I was kind of messing around with the ol' 6 string one day and started playing around with this technique. Don't know if anyone's ever done it before but it sounds pretty cool. If you have the time have a listen to it in my most recent recording. (Sorry you have to listen to my sloptastic other crap to get to the good stuff)

String Blowing Begins at 3:38

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=19004

(any input on the song would be appreciated too)

• Members

Kim Thayil, of soundgarden uses this techinque on Flower (the first song on Ultramega OK). He blows on the strings driectly over the pickup. Sounds really cool, like a chimy droning eastern type sound.

I read somewhere (maybe it was a really old issue of Guitar Player) that when he did this live, people thought he was playing with his beard.

• Members

Damn so I can't take pioneering credit, shucks.

All you do is fret a chord or note and blow on the string(s) works best if you do it between the neck pickup and where you're fretting. It works best on a distorted channel with very little gain and the volume turned up a fair bit. Play around with it. I don't think there's a set right or wrong way.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

hendrix did it first. hendrix did everything first

Actually, I remember Kim Thayil talking about that trick in an interview, and he said he picked it up from some really old bluesman. Might have even predated Jimi. :cool:

I've done it before as well, I first learned it from that Kim Thayil article.

• 10 months later...

Archived