for Craig Anderton, one desperate GNXer in recording need calling for your help

MikEdge

• Members

Craig, sorry for stealing your precious time and infiltrating the forum because of GNX4 issue, but I'm in complete despair and don't see any other possibility than asking our GNX guru:) I've got this problem when trying to record drums PC-GNX-PC (copied from DigiTech forum):

What I'm trying to do is to use GNX4 as my drum module to record separated drum-tracks for in-depth mixing. This is what I have done:

1) Connected GNX4 to PC

2) Started Sonar 4PE and set Dig1/2 sources for play/rec timing masters. Also set DigiTech MIDI as MIDI inputs/outputs. Selected DigiTech Hands Free surface and assigned in/out port to it (thanks to Alberto's advice on your tutorial of installing GNX surface under Sonar 4).

3) prepared 7 MIDI tracks with respective drums (bass, snare, hihat...) - when they are only played through GNX4, everything sounds great and in perfect sync.

4) soloed the first MIDI track (bass drum) and inserted the first target audio track (in: DigiTech 1/2, out DigiTech 1/2). I selected Drums MN as a recording source. I armed the track for recording and hit record. Even this first take seems out of sync - the beats are not exactly at the beat marks (and the gap seems to differ a bit! - only a few milliseconds but still...)

5) followed the same procedure with the rest of MIDI->audio tracks. The result is horrible - perfectly out of sync and unhearable - miles from the MIDI file itself. How is this possible?

Of course, you would suggest - why don't you record only one stereo track and only compensate for the sync? Yeah, that's possible. But it will not allow me to mix individual drums (level, panning, effects).

This might be hard to understand because of my English. Maybe I can post the snippet to make it more clear... Still I hope you can explain this topic to me, Craig. Thank you so much in advance!

Mike

• 3 months later...

Archived