SG Restring Question - Why is this Happening?

Tucker D

• Members

Folks:

- Need a little set-up advice please...A few weeks ago, I changed the strings on my 06 SG Standard from 9's to 10's for the first time. -Followed all the conventional wisdom and best practices from restringing lore. Needless to say, the neck reacted as I expected, and bowed a ltlle bit - not a big deal - easy adjustment with the truss rod. Again, following all the advice I've picked up here on truss rod adjustments, I made sure that I only turned the rod about an 1/8-1/4 of a turn per day and then let the neck adjust overnight ( it took about 3 days) until I was able to get the neck straight and the action "right" ( the way it was before).

Everything looks and feels great on the neck now, but it sounds like {censored}. Specifically, when I fret a note, any note - (particulary in the open position down near the nut), it sounds like I'm bending the note almost a 1/2 step just by depressing my finger. I'm using an in-line tuner and the open strings are perfectly in tune, but as as soon as I fret any string (more so on the treble side) they're all sharp.

By no means am I an old pro at setting up a guitar, but I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong. I don't believe I've over adjusted the truss rod because I have zero fret buzz. Have I screwed up the intonation somehow? Is it the strings or the neck? I could take it in to get it corrected but I really should know how to do this myself. Maybe I should just go with another fresh set of tens? Your help and advice is appreciated. - Thanks

P.S. Never had any problem with this guitar previously whatsoever. Actually, it's a great freakin' specimen of an SG!!

• Members

I'd agree with the above. The SG's is probably intoned for 9's. It can be a simple adjustment.

By the way, I lost the little tiny allen wrench for my bridge. I had to go to the hardware store and buy a whole set of metric allens only to use the 1.5 mm bridge wrench. Then I found my original wrench.

• Members

That sounds like way, way too much change on the truss rod for just going from .9s to .10s. Have you actually measured the relief in the neck?

Did you also incidently (maybe without noticing) change the bridge height as well?

What kind of strings did you put on? I believe that Gibson puts their BriteWires on the Standard SGs and changing to a different alloy combination can have an affect on the guitar's tone.

Oh, and have you tried to re-intonate it with the new strings?

-Ron

• Members

Originally posted by Rapmaster

They sometimes send them off with .009s or .010s depending on the model and the year. The new standards come with .010s but I'm fairly certain it used to be .009s.

OK, just a thought.

I've never had any problems going from .09s to .10s.

I do agree with you about the problem being the intonation.

Archived