OT - The Return of the Son of the SSS Recipe Book

Mr. Botch

• Members

One of the cool things about Craig's forum is the Off-topic threads about things that so many music folks get passionate about. One of my favorites was the "Recipe thread" from the Musicplayer days, it can be found right here. I dug this up because it was too fun, and I think the folks new to SSS will enjoy some of the ideas too.

The other reason is that I learned a fairly basic recipe at a cooking class a week ago, it was so good I wanted to share it:

Hummus

1 15 oz. can garbanzos (chick peas)

2 Tblspns Olive Oil

Lemon juice squeezed from 1/2 lemon

1 Tblspn toasted sesame oil

1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled

Salt and pepper to taste

Drain garbanzos, reserve liquid. Throw everything into a food processor with 1/4 cup of the garbanzo liquid, process until smooth but still slightly chunky. Add more of the liquid if necessary (you should be able to dip a knife into it to spread it).

Pour into a serving bowl and top with another drizzle of olive oil. Spread onto pocket bread, melba toasts, cucumber slices, bell pepper strips, your lover, carrot/celery/jicama sticks, or tortilla chips.

Okay, your turn!

• Members

Originally posted by d. gauss

not enough garlic. double it (at least)and add cracked peppercorns and roasted red peppers.

-d. gauss

I agree,6 cloves depending and your getting close.With the canned garbanzos skip the salt.

And for god's sake use extra virgin here.

• Members

Thanks Botch, as you know I am not keen on Hummus but I'll give your recipe a try.

I'll do a couple of my fav recipes and post them up as and when I get time but theres one that I love to do and

its my lamb chops.

Heres the recipe for you:

One of my best recipes is for lamb or mutton chops.

You'll need the following ingredients and it takes about an hour to cook and always serve with Rice.

Chops, preferably the thicker cut they are, the better

1 large onion, sliced

4 Garlic cloves crushed

Ginger, chopped,

Seasoning as following: 4-5 teaspoons of Paprika, black pepper, 5-6 teaspoons of mild-medium Curry Powder,4 teaspoons of season all if you can get it or lamb chop seasoning.

chopped fresh coriander

2 tomatoes chopped

2 veggie stock cubes

tin of plum tomatoes, chopped

1 Jalepeno chilli, seeded and chopped finely.

Hot water

Season your chops with the season all, paprika, curry powder,onions, coriander,garlic and ginger.

Leave over night in a sealed container in the fridge.

Heat some oil, prefrably olive oil in a deep pot and add the chops with all your seasoning in and fry. If you want more seasoning added, add it now to taste.

Leave to brown and cover till juices start to come out, this takes about 10 mins or so.

Add your chopped tomatoes and cook down.

add your tinned tomatoes and cover and cook for about 10 mintues.

add you Jalapenos peppers and no more than half a pepper or it will be to hot.

cook for a few minutes.

add your 2 stock cubes by crumbling in and add hot water just to cover the chops and simmer for 45mins to an hour.

Add more fresh coriander and serve with Rice.

Enjoy

• Members

My Homus/Hummus recipe is different.

3 cups of cooked chick peas.

1 cup of lemon juice

1/2 cup of Tahini (sesame butter)

2 cloves of garlic (raw garlic is very strong)

salt

blend in processor adding additional water from the water the peas were cooked in to give right consistency.

place in serving bowl and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the surface, then sprinkle lightly with paprika.

If you replace the chick peas with cooked eggplant

and use 1/2 cup lemon juice to 1 cup of tahini + garlic/salt

you get Babaganoush.

cheers

john

• Members

Nice Pig - I'll try that for sure :)

John's Fish Soup.

Take 2 - 3 leeks and remove the roots and green section.

Coursely chop the green tops/root and place in a pot with a little oil. Stir fry lightly then add a cup or more of white wine, a bayleaf, black peppercorns, some fresh herbs and two fish heads.

Simmer for one hour.

Strain and reserve stock, reduce if necessary to allow for 4 serves. Salt to taste.

Take the meat off the fish heads, the cheek flesh is the best.

Finely slice the white leeks and simmer in a little butter till soft.

In a bowl place some pieces of fishmeat in the bottom, cover with some sauted white leek, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pour over stock, sprinkle with chopped parley.

Yum :)

cheers

john

Archived