MP3 vs. Ogg

franknputer

• Members

Just saw this little blurb:

65% of all audio files by volume of traffic are still traded in the MP3 format, but a surprising 12.3% are in the open-source OGG file format (almost all of which are exclusively traded on the BitTorrent network, particularly in Asia).

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=8641

And I got to thinking about a test I recently read about in Mix: Take a mono WAV file, export it as MP3; then, convert it to WAV, invert it 180 degrees out of phase with the original & play them together.

A WAV 180 degrees out of phase with itself will cancel 100%. The test shows what is taken out by the MP3 compression process - what you hear on playback is the difference of the 2 files, or what is NOT cancelled in the original waveform by the inverted MP3.

I've been wanting to try this, so I did: I downloaded a WAV file of a sine wave sweep, -3 dB across the entire spectrum. I then ran the test, inverting it against itself (full cancellation) as well as against the highest bit rate (320) MP3 I could create using Audacity and the LAME encoder. (There was a LOT of information removed from the original file, I can tell you.)

Next, I tried the same using an Ogg Vorbis file, again at the highest quality available. Now this isn't exactly scientific - I don't know what bit rate it used, as Audacity sets it on a 1-10 scale. (I'll check the file sizes in a bit...) BUT - while there was viewable energy difference (the meters showed a low-level signal) it wasn't really audible.

I found that pretty amazing. :) Like I said, I'll have to check the file sizes - it could be that there was far less compression in the Ogg file. Still - the audible difference was huge.

EDIT: OK, I've come back to check the file sizes:

WAV: 948 k

MP3: 433 k

OGG: 97 k :eek:

Of course, the MP3 also has ID3 tag data in there somewhere - anyone know how much space that would take up? I didn't put anything in except Genre, which is selected from a drop list (no way to leave it blank).

Damned interesting, though.

• Members

I've always thought that Ogg sounds better than MP3. Evidence is nice, though.

Have you thought of trying 2 sines, 1 swept and 1 constant freq? This would point out how they handle intermod distortion.

I also wonder how Monkeys audio ( http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ )would fare against the other two. It is theoretically lossless, though, so I'd expect it to be at least better than the compressed ones.

• Members

Try a music file and recreate the test.

The codecs might not be as damaging to a single frequency (even swept) sound as they would to real music. I'm curious to see how the results differ.

• Members

The above points are good ones

given tha the compression might be "tuned", a larger test corpus is probably wise

I'd suggest at least

1) sines in octaves or decades

2) a PWM'd rectangular wave

3) a swept sine

4) white and pink noise

5) A dynamic range test sequence (maybe sine and noise with modulated dynamics)

6) music of a few varieties

just from the hip - it definitely isn't comprehensive and there may be some funcional duplication

• Members

OK - I found a problem with the initial check which explains the HUGE differences in noise, & probably file size too. Seems that the MP3 has a bit of "hash" in it, that offsets the beginning of the file - and thus, the cancellation is screwed up. This could be an artifact of the LAME encoder OR the act of importing it back into Audacity as a WAV - I don't have time now to test this.

Did it again - this time, using white noise peaking at -3 dB, and I manuallly aligned the MP3 to the inverted wave form at the sample level.

The WAV still shows full cancellation, of course.

The MP3 reads between about -17 to -21 dB on the meters, so average that at -19 dB.

The Ogg file averages at -31 (peaks running between -29 & -33). So, it still shows significantly less damage to the original audio than the MP3.

So - to sum it up:

File Sizes -

WAV: 862 kb

MP3: 395 kb

OGG: 312 kb

Residual energy after cancellation:

WAV: - inf (full cancellation)

MP3: - 19 dB

OGG: - 31 dB

Remember, this is what is REMOVED from the original file, so less is, in this case...more. :)

• Members

I'm not going to get super-deep on the subject - I do have other stuff to do. ;)

I'm pretty sure there are other factors that might account for some of the differences. Still, it is an interesting exercise, though - I suggest that some of you try it out too & post what you find.

Archived