The movers destroyed my guitar :(

voneville

• Members

It's fixable, and hopefully they'll pay for it, but my Squier Tele (Bastard-Caster with a P-90 in the bridge) is mortally wounded. My wife thought I was nuts for packing up most of my guitar gear with me and not trusting the movers. I was originally going to drive from San Diego to Virginia. Out of pure selfishness I packed my 2 favorite guitars so I could play them while out on the road and so I wouldn't have to wait for the movers to drop off my stuff to play.

The area before the nut on the fingerboard (the headstock side) broke off along with the nut. There's a big fat hole in the box. It lookes like it got crushed. Luckily my Jay Turner Phantom made it okay, it was in the same box. The guitar was in bad shape anyway, so it's not a huge loss. But it's the principle I guess. The funny thing is that I ended up only driving to Phoenix and flying the rest of the way. I left a bunch of stuff in Phoenix so I could check my guitars and flew them out here with me. I'm glad I did because if my 2 favorites were damaged I'd be pretty bummed.

• Members

It's fixable, and hopefully they'll pay for it, but my Squier Tele (Bastard-Caster with a P-90 in the bridge) is mortally wounded. My wife thought I was nuts for packing up most of my guitar gear with me and not trusting the movers. I was originally going to drive from San Diego to Virginia. Out of pure selfishness I packed my 2 favorite guitars so I could play them while out on the road and so I wouldn't have to wait for the movers to drop off my stuff to play.

The area before the nut on the fingerboard (the headstock side) broke off along with the nut. There's a big fat hole in the box. It lookes like it got crushed. Luckily my Jay Turner Phantom made it okay, it was in the same box. The guitar was in bad shape anyway, so it's not a huge loss. But it's the principle I guess. The funny thing is that I ended up only driving to Phoenix and flying the rest of the way. I left a bunch of stuff in Phoenix so I could check my guitars and flew them out here with me. I'm glad I did because if my 2 favorites were damaged I'd be pretty bummed.

Is the moving company going to compensate you?

• Members

Is the moving company going to compensate you?

Hopefully they will, but since I packed the box myself they may deny the claim. There was some other stuff damaged also. I should have packed it better, but they were supposed to box anything I boxed up in a seperate box (double boxed). This one got missed and shipped as boxed. It was a private company hired by the Military, so I'm not sure how they are about claims.

• Members

Hopefully they will, but since I packed the box myself they may deny the claim. There was some other stuff damaged also. I should have packed it better, but they were supposed to box anything I boxed up in a seperate box (double boxed). This one got missed and shipped as boxed. It was a private company hired by the Military, so I'm not sure how they are about claims.

Hmmmm....Well if there was a hole knocked into you box then that not really about the packing but about how they loaded and secured your stuff. Good luck:thu: Let everyone know how it turns out.

• Members

You don't get compensated by the moving company, you have to file a claim with the gubbament and they reimburse you depending on what they decide the repair cost or depreciated value is... don't get your hopes up too high. The government then goes after the movers after they've paid you.

All those little brochures they have sitting around the transportation office when you go to make your moving appointment? The ones nobody ever reads? They would have told you what to do to ensure you at least got 30 cents on the dollar back for your loss. I hope you noted the damage on the inventory forms you signed. Even though you've got something like 2 years to make a claim, you only have something like 60 days to report the damage.

f%*$g movers are the scum of the earth.

Good luck.

Archived