Anybody here ever play OBL twin blade pup?

Purplexi

• Members

This is probably best addressed to vintage Hamer owner's.I have a Hamer TLE custom(maple top/mahogany tele w/floyd,explorer headstock)that was supposed to come with the OBL dual blade humbucker,but instead got stuck with the trebly,grindy,500k pot "Slammer" humbucking bridge pickup.I knew something was wrong with this fine guitar's tone but knew little about diff pickups when I purchased her,some years ago.Now I have a chance to change it for the W German OBL,originally intended for it but I hate to waste the time and money without some idea from anyone in the know??

• Members

Those Hamer Slammer pickups are quite sought after... they differ year by year but were custom wound for Hamer by DiMarzio based on their PAF. Maybe you just don't like the .01 cap Hamer uses, it makes guitars a touch brighter. You may want to try the more usual .022 cap.

I've never heard a OBL and can't help you there, but If you're looking for a OBL, maybe get in touch with Bill Lawrence who is now in the USA, as I believe the OBL were Original Bill Lawrence when done in W. Germany.

Or try http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/ and see if someone will tell you more about their tone or sell you one.

Archived