$765 for a Gibson SG Classic Blem

GAS Man

• Members

Yeah, Dean, that's a fan-friggin-tastic deal you got there

I bought mine last year just before they jacked up the price. I saw the new catalog come out with the $999.99 price, so I jumped on line and pulled the trigger at the $850 price before it caught up to the new catalog price.

But before that I was searching around for one in black. Someone here did give me a lead on a retail store in CA that might have them, but I didn't follow through with that lead, opting instead to toss the business to the staid but predictable MF for a cherry. But I definitely did feel that that guitar in black would have been the way to go. It just seemed more appropriate, more Pete Townshend-ish.

Probably partially felt that way since I also already owned the '61 RI in cherry red.

• Members

Ugh. Stay clear of MF Blems. Ive ordered two and one had a broken(froze) truss rod(Jackson DK-2, graveyard graffix) and the other had a healthy crack leading from the neckjoint(set neck) to the back of the body(Gibson LP studio). I worry about what criteria MF considers to be a blem. Id like to see the actual blem mentioned on each just for reference and too save a lot of hassle in getting a guitar that has a scratch over one that badly needs a factory recondition.

The SG classics are great guitars btw.

• Members

Well, that's an excellent point to raise. But I've bought two "blems" from them that were better than most guitars within wanker reach as "new" at a GC store..

There was a thread here a day or two ago that seemed to indicate that the majority of experience was the same as mine. Kinda like "where's the blem" or if they found it, it was really minor and well worth the discount they receved.

BUT, I'm not at all denying what you're saying about your own personal experience, so "kids, be ware".

• Members

MF did honor their return guarantee both times and after my second incident (LP Studio) I was given an extra $50 credit back. I think I just got two rare stinkers but am leary of the time wasted if I get another damaged blem. And its reassuring too see the other thread linked that has all the positive MF Blem deals.

Archived