Used MIM Strats: No big savings

HockeyRocker

• Members

Long before Christmas I began surfing Ebay and NYC's Craig's List for an MIM Strat. I always have a few that I'm watching. Friday night I gave up an ordered an Amerian-made Gibson Melody Maker from MF to cure my tax refund GAS. I've acheived temporary, temporal happiness at the same expense as if I had pulled the trigger on a used Strat.

What I haven't done is landed that Strat. I suppose the best thing to do, when I'm ready to get another guitar in six months, is to play a bunch of new MIMs at GC and pick out a good one. I really thought I could catch a break going the used route, but by the time you factor in the shipping cost and rish of the unknown, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Is there some better strategy to going the used route? I see where Jerry Picker is always advocating used, and it sounds good to me, but where's the deal on an MIM Strat? Thanks.

• Members

I found a good deal on one at a Pawn Shop yesterday. I walked out of that pawn shop with an MIM Strat that is in excellent condition for $120. The bridge pickup in it didn't work, but I had an extra single coil strat pickup lying around. So last night when I got home I rewired the guitar and it plays, sounds, and looks great.

Strat.jpg

strathead.jpg

• Members
I found a good deal on one at a Pawn Shop yesterday. I walked out of that pawn shop with an MIM Strat that is in excellesnt condition for $120. The bridge pickup in it didn't work, but I had an extra single coil strat pickup lying around. So last night when I got home I rewired the guitar and it plays, sounds, and looks great.

Strat.jpg

Nice score Songman. That's what I'm talking about. I guess I'll remain on my quest and include pawn shops.

• Members

Thanks man. Even though the bridge pickup didn't work it was still a nice score. When I was at the pawn shop I figured it just had a loose wire. But when I got it home and started tinkering with it, the bridge pickup was bad. I had an extra single coil strat pickup lying around though so it was no big deal. I love this guitar. I bought it thinking I would turn it for a profit on ebay. But now I am leaning strongly towards keeping it.

If I were you I would definately start cruisng your local pawn shops. You don't always find great deals there, but when you do it is usually a pretty good score.

• Members

I found a used MIM Strat in a local pawn with one small ding and plastic still on the pickguard for $150 about 3 years ago. They're out there. Bide you time and watch local classifieds.

Or you can get a Peavey USA Predator for around $100 used on Ebay most any time. Here's mine:

188512407_8a37548044.jpg

Specs are similar to late-90's MIM Std. Strat: ceramic pickups, poplar body, but with 22 frets instead of 21

Archived