Re-fret or replace?

Paraclete

• Members

Ive got an old B.C. Rich ST-III,bolt on neck. Normal specs,rosewood slab board,etc. That Ive been playing hard for about 20yr.s Ive worn the hell of the frets on this thing. Some are worn down so smooth that they are almost flush with the board now,lol. Others are worn in specific spots that my fingers frequent. I love this neck. Fits my hand perfectly,as if Bernie Jr. made it specific for me. For sentimental reasons as well, Im loath to replace the neck outright,but would it make more sense to just replace it-perhaps with a new Warmoth neck of similar spec-or just to get a re-fret done?

• Members

Ive got an old B.C. Rich ST-III,bolt on neck. Normal specs,rosewood slab board,etc. That Ive been playing hard for about 20yr.s Ive worn the hell of the frets on this thing. Some are worn down so smooth that they are almost flush with the board now,lol. Others are worn in specific spots that my fingers frequent. I love this neck. Fits my hand perfectly,as if Bernie Jr. made it specific for me. For sentimental reasons as well, Im loath to replace the neck outright,but would it make more sense to just replace it-perhaps with a new Warmoth neck of similar spec-or just to get a re-fret done?

You love the neck but the frets are worn. Bring it for an evaluation. Could get by with a dressing, partial re-fret...or mabye it needs a full re-fret. The BIGGEST deal is to get your guitar worked on by a PRO. There are alot of hacks out there. If you dont know a reliable place to bring it then I am sure if you threw up a thread asking where the best/ most trusted place in your area for a fret-work/ re-fret is that someone here will get you there. :thu:

Though..if you want to spend the cash I am sure a custom shop could easily make and or shape you a neck that has the exact contours as the one you have now but with good frets.

• Members

The fact that you've owned this thing for a long time and love its feeling makes me think that you should re-fret it.

I assume that refretting a guitar would make it feel like new again. That would allow you to grind on your old, beloved axe for another twenty years.

No matter what new guitar you buy, it won't come with 20 years of good times.

• Members

Ty folks. Yes, im sure Ill end up going the re-fret route. And yes to stainless steel frets. I tried some on a buds Warmoth strat and like them.I am attached to this neck,almost like no other. Ive willfully overlooked other minor flaws and annoyances on this guitar,just to enjoy that neck. The abuses she has suffered are a result of my love for it.-Twisted though that sounds.:p

There is a local luthier who comes highly recommended to me,so I believe I will run it into him.

For the rest of her,since it's going to be her 20th birthday, i think she deserves a good makeover all-around. Im also considering a complete swap of her pups,and electronics-New higher-output pups,and better quality than stock pots and wiring. Im also considering replacing the old,worn out Licensed floyd she came with ,with a new OFR. The knife edges on that have been repeatedly filed back down to smooth,to the point where I think there may not be enough metal left to work with.

As for pups. Has anyone used or heard the GFS Little Killer rail-type single coils? Im thinking about those for the S/S neck/middle positions, and a Rockfield Mafia or SWC for the bridge H.B.

Archived