Help!

• Members

I'm experiencing some weirdness on my PC...

Mozilla Firefox doesn't load properly. Sometimes, the program won't load at all and even after rebooting, it starts without showing the pages. They're loaded, though, as a print command prints the active page. Before it became this bad, I couldn't get links from HC thread alerts to open in Hotmail. I thought it was a problem with Hotmail, but now it appears to be Firefox. Anyone else experience a bug like this? (Didn't happen before I downloaded 1.07, but I've since also downloaded updates to some extensions.)

Any thoughts? I have McAfee Security Center running Virus Scan (not my choice.. work computer) and I run Ad-aware SE regularly, but neither seems to affect this issue.

Doh! :mad:

BTW - Whatever the issue is, it does not appear to affect IE, so I think it's localized to Firefox. This is the first issue I've had with the program in over 2 years.

• Members

Actually, like you Ted, I'd rather have the Help you offered! :D

Actually, I think I solved the issue in question.

I discovered a bunch of really cool extensions for Firefox a while back and installed most of 'em. I think one of them caused the issue, so I started by eliminating all but the most useful ones. It seems to be working again. Plus, the system is a whole lot faster than it was, even with the ones I kept. ;)

• Members

Neil, I've had no problems with Firefix 1.07, running on a WindXP system, or a Win2K. I don't use McAfee and I suspect there is were your problem is. You might have to un-install and re-install Firefox and if you have access to McAfee's setup you might be able to find out if it is blocking some parts of Firefox.

Just guessing here. As I mentioned, I've had zero problems running it on Windows.

The Linux version is 1.06, and being a different OS may or may not be the same as the Windows version of Firefox 1.07.

[edit]

AH, I see you've found the problem. That could 'splain my no problems. I have very few extensions installed.[/edit]

• Members

Yeah... as annoying as McAfee can be, so far it's been nothing but good on this machine. I've run Firefox 1.04 - 1.07 on the machine, with no issues prior to this one. I really think it was a bad update of one of the active extensions I have since deleted.

Extensions are wonderful, but you have to be conservative how many you use or it slows down Firefox a lot!

Archived