Jazzmaster and heavy distortion.

Sic666

• Members

I always wanted a jazzmaster and now i have the money to buy one but over here where i live there's no guitar shop that has one on display so I can't test it if it's good for Punk. I saw Incubus live and heard the jazzmaster i was blown away by the tone and distortion but the model the guy from incubus uses is a costum shop model. I have heard some Sonic Youth songs and it sound fantastic but i want to hear it with heavy distortion.

If you have a jazzmaster completely stock please post a sound clip with heavy distortion and palm muting.

• Members

Sic

Check out Dinosaur Jr. Pretty heavy fuzz done with a variety of Jazzmasters with different vintage style pickups. Enziger from Incubus JM's only differ from normal JM's in the neck (9.5 Radius I believe) and the pickups (similar to Seymour Duncans Hot for Jazzmaster pups). Sonic Youth uses a bunch of different JM's, some with humbucker's, alternate tunings and some pretty heavy strings.

As far as palm muted heavy distortion, I would say it is not the best guitar in that department. But thats not to say it cant do it, but it may not be what you are looking for. Just an opinion of a JM owner with duncan hot for JM pups.

I'd try to get a clip up but I am stuck at work for a couple of days.:cry:

• Members

Yeah I was about to say listen to Dinosaur Jnr or Swervedriver.

You said - 'good for punk'? I'd say yes, definitely, but there are a few things you might need to consider :

1) A compressor is useful - adds some sustain and focuses the sound a bit with higher gain.

2) You'll need to make sure that you EQ it carefully. JMs can sound harsh and tinny, but with a bit of attention to the EQ it will sound amaxing

3) Put heavier than stock strings on - 11's are best.

With the range of sounds that you can get out of a JM, you'll definitely stand out from the rest if you put in a bit of effort in finding the best sounds with your rig.

Archived