weird pickup static noise

bluesboy

• Members

It also happens if i touch the screw that holds the pickguard on... is it some sort of grounding issue?

It's my Epi LP standard... the electronics in the control cavity are alot different than in the gibson LP's ive put pickups in... everythign was way deep in the cavity and it wasn't obvious to me what went where, so Id di the old "clip, twist, and solder" method. Still, I think I made good conenctions.

Maybe it has to do with the pickups being not covered (they are GFS 59's open coils)?

• Members

yeah, im thinking grounding too, but where? im thinking its something to do with the connections i made, but im pretty sure I made good connections. and what are the chances that I made the same mistake on both pickups? Should I disconnect what I did and reconnect them? or could it be somethign else?

• Members

Possibly something as simple (but hard to detect) as a bare wire ... your first inclination to re-do your connections is a good one.. inspect where close contact occurs between teh wiring and any metal pieces. I didn't see where you said that you ran the grounding as per any instructions .. so double check EVERYTHING.

Good luck

• Members

well, inside the epiphone pikup wire (everythign is inside one big red tube) there was bare silver wire which attached to ground, and then a red wire that was the hot wire.

Inside the GFS wire, there is a black wire that is the ground and a white wire that is the hot (I think). I attached the black to the bare silver wire, and the white to the red hot.

Archived