Bassist Needs Advice on Epiphone S-600

ssimontis

• Members

Hi all,

I normally hang out on the bass forums but I have been trying to learn electric guitar. Currently I have a 1998 or 1999 Fender Telecaster, although it feels difficult for me to play. I am thus looking to trade, and have been offered an Epiphone S-600. I can't seem to find any info on this guitar, so has anyone here played this guitar?

I would like to know if it is a good guitar, and if it is a fair trade. Any advice?

• Members

Hi all,

I normally hang out on the bass forums but I have been trying to learn electric guitar. Currently I have a 1998 or 1999 Fender Telecaster, although it feels difficult for me to play. I am thus looking to trade, and have been offered an Epiphone S-600. I can't seem to find any info on this guitar, so has anyone here played this guitar?

I would like to know if it is a good guitar, and if it is a fair trade. Any advice?

Couple of questions....

1. Is your guitar a USA model or Mexican model?

2. What is difficult about playing the telecatser? String bending? action?

If I am not mistaken the S-600 is a kind of "super-strat" with a locking trem. Kind of looks like an Ibanez RG type?

• Members

Couple of questions....

1. Is your guitar a USA model or Mexican model?

2. What is difficult about playing the telecatser? String bending? action?

If I am not mistaken the S-600 is a kind of "super-strat" with a locking trem. Kind of looks like an Ibanez RG type?

1. Mexican model. Sorry, forgot to specify earlier.

2. I find that the aciton makes the guitar difficult to play. Maybe it is just me but the neck feels bigger than most guitars.

3. Correct.

• Members

I did check out that link, but I didn't get much info. He states that the pickups aren't that good, can anyone else comment on this? He also did not state anything about the value of the guitar, so I am unable to see if the trade is worth it.

Well a new MIM Tele only goes for $400 so a used one isnt going to fetch alot of money. Say around $300 if in nice condition. That Epi model is a bit of an odd-ball. You dont see to many around. If the Epi is in good original shape, I could def' see it going for around the same as a used MIM tele. Does the trade include any hardshell cases?

My take on the Epi is that it is cool but if you are not doing any heavy whammy use then having a guitar with a locking trem isnt needed.

As far as the Tele is concerned...there is not alot you can do for the neck if you think it is too chunky for you. You could have it shaved but I dont think it is even worth the $$$. A pro set-up might do the trick for getting the action lower. Unless of course you know how to do all that stuff and have taken it as far is it could go. What guage strings are you using? 9's or 10's might be worth a try if you arent using them already.

Could be the Tele style isnt your "thing". You might be better off passing on the Epi, selling the Tele and getting something else.

Are you happy with the Tele tones? Or are you looking for something heavier?

Archived