AJC, Bruce Bennet, Jim Soloway, Meandi....HELP!!

• Moderators

Any of you guys know the feasibility of laying veneer over a carved top?

I seem to remember an old method of wetting th eveneer to get some moisture in and then laying it on the contours with a slow setting glue and then placing a sand bag over the top, placing a board on the sandbag and then weighting it down with as much weight as possible.

I was going to use a thin ebony veneer but maybe a black dyed softer veneer would be better?

Any advice appreciated

• Members

I know my name wasn't mentioned, but this is what I always thought fancy shops used. There may be some reason why not, but hey.

inside.jpg

I would think if you were manufacturing, you might have a system using a couple of contoured pieces of wood (matching the lateral and longitudinal contour of the body) that would allow traditional clamping.

When my dad and I did a veneer on the Telecaster headstock, where it wraps the curve up to the nut, we wet it and then we clamped a krylon can to the neck at that spot along with a block on the flat part.

• Moderators
I know my name wasn't mentioned, but this is what I always thought fancy shops used. There may be some reason why not, but hey.

inside.jpg
I would think if you were manufacturing, you might have a system using a couple of contoured pieces of wood (matching the lateral and longitudinal contour of the body) that would allow traditional clamping.

Ryan, sorry I didn't mention you and you're absolutely correct, vacuuming is a usual method, and to be fair in the University I do have access to plenty of high draw vacuum pumps. AJC has just mailed me to point out that vacuuming is an accepted method, I just dont know how to do the bag.

• Members

Ryan, sorry I didn't mention you and you're absolutely correct, vacuuming is a usual method, and to be fair in the University I do have access to plenty of high draw vacuum pumps. AJC has just mailed me to point out that vacuuming is an accepted method, I just dont know how to do the bag.

I have quite a bit od bagging experience (I use it as in the photos to lay up curved veneers) and can certainly tell you what I know...

I will shoot you an email after work, I have to run!

AJC

Archived