help with new OUTPUT JACK??

mr.fat_chops

• Members

fixing my buddy's epiphone Les Paul... seems like the output jack got ripped out (wierd looking accident). bought a new jack and the plastic mount.

there seems to be a wire running from the pickup selector to the hole of the jack.... bigger grey wire with a white wire and bare wire inside.

my guess is that all the post are wired fine and the grey wire is the only thing to get hooked to the new jack. BUT, soldered it and didn't get signal. can anyone help out? maybe someone has one and can tell me what goes to the jack...

• Members

do you have a multi-meter? if so then test for continuity to find the wire needed.

yes the wire from the 3 way should go to the jack. positive to tip & grd to plate right.

see... that's where i think i'm going wrong. not sure which is positive and ground..

is the white wire supposed to go to the top and the bare to one of the other leads??

• Members

the bare wires in my little experience have been grounds. don't be afraid to use the process of elimination. 2 wires and 2 places to solder on a mono output jack.

heck plug the guitar into the jack outside the guitar and try the diffeent combos before soldering for testing purposes.

• Members

white is hot and bare is ground.

^^^^

Like he said.

Solder the white one to the HOT output (tip of the jack) and the bare/black goes to the ground (ring of the jack). If you're not sure which is which, plug a 1/4" cord in, and follow the metal from the tip to the solder point.

Make sure you unplug the guitar cable before you solder.

:thu:

If you don't have a multimeter, test it out by plugging into your amp (turned down VERY low) and tapping the pickups with a screwdriver. I usually do this test after a pickup swap, just to make sure everything is working okay before I string it up. If your strings are still on, you can obviously just play a chord/note. If you get no sound, simply reverse the two wires to the output jack and resolder. Worst case scenario: You'll have to solder twice. You're not going to blow anything up if they're wired backwards.

Disclaimer: If you do blow something up, I accept no responsibility.

Good luck!

• Members

What if you've tried it both ways and neither works?

I've tried 2 different pickguards that are loaded,

one which had worked when I removed it

and a brand new setup.

I miss my guitar

( my bass works, so it's not the amp or cord )

• Members

well, i tried white to the tip and signal came out after i jiggled it. then, put the cover back on and tried it through my big amp. but, it's faint and muffled as well as seemingly dead in the lead pickup.

i hate not knowing how to do this. is it possible that i should try soldering to the "TIP" (as opposed to the soldering point at the base of the jack that looks to be the same piece of metal) and maybe soldering cleaner, too??

Archived