Okay, you classic 50 owners...what are your ideal settings?

fanuvbrak

• Members

From Left to right:

Volume Section:

Normal: 7

Pre: 8

Equalization:

Bass: 5

Mid: 9

Treble: 7

Master:

Volume: 2 to 6, but 6 is stadium loud.

Reverb: 6

Presence: 8

This is a nice setting for all my guitars: Single Coil, Humbucker, and Mini-Humbucker.

• Members

To tell you the truth, I can't really remember what my settings are. :o

I use the Classic 30 a whole lot more than the 50 and it has a little bit different setup (no overall master volume and no presence knob).

My setting on the Classic 30 are EASY to remember. These are typical gig level settings, and remember the knobs go to 12.

Volume: 3-4
Pre: 7-10

Reverb:0-4 (depending on how much natural reverb the room has.)

Bass: 12
Middle: 12
Treble: 8-12 (depending on which guitar I'm playing. Humbuckers normally get a 12, singles normally get an 8.

Now, on the 50, I can't remember if I like the tone better with the individual channel volumes lower and the master volume higher, or the other way around.

I think the EQ and gain are usually set pretty much the same as on the 30, with the presence around 4-6.

• Members
To tell you the truth, I can't really remember what my settings are.
:o

I use the Classic 30 a whole lot more than the 50 and it has a little bit different setup (no overall master volume and no presence knob).

My setting on the Classic 30 are EASY to remember. These are typical gig level settings, and remember the knobs go to 12.

Reverb:0-4 (depending on how much natural reverb the room has.

Treble: 8-12 (depending on which guitar I'm playing. Humbuckers normally get a 12, singles normally get an 8.

Now, on the 50, I can't remember if I like the tone better with the individual channel volumes lower and the master volume higher, or the other way around.

I think the EQ and gain are usually set pretty much the same as on the 30, with the presense around 4-6.

Thanks!:thu:

• Members
To tell you the truth, I can't really remember what my settings are.
:o

Reverb:0-4 (depending on how much natural reverb the room has.)

I think the EQ and gain are usually set pretty much the same as on the 30, with the presence around 4-6.

That's interesting (the EQ settings). Do you have any sort of "explanation" as to why you go with 12s (or close) on all 3? I'm kinda new to the world of EQing and am trying to understand why that would sound better, say, than the more "flat" response of 6-6-6, for example.

• Members
That's interesting (the EQ settings). Do you have any sort of "explanation" as to why you go with 12s (or close) on all 3? I'm kinda new to the world of EQing and am trying to understand why that would sound better, say, than the more "flat" response of 6-6-6, for example.

No rhyme or reason to it. I just like the sound of it that way. :D

• Members

I guess you guys like it a little dirtier than I do. In the lead channel, I have the first knob up to about 9:00. the second knob is higher. Maybe 12:00. the bass is 2-3:00. Mid 12:00. High 12:30. I keep the reverb off. I think the presence is about 12:00 for the strats and 3-4:00 for the hollowbody with p90s.

For gigs, I play through the clean channel and use a rat box.

• Members

With passive EQ's, you hear the "real" voice of the amp with everything maxed out. What you do when you EQ it down is substract some specific frequencies from the overall sound. Kinda like your guitar tone knob. So some tube amps sound their best with everything maxed out (volumes and EQ ).

With active EQ, the center point is flat and you can either cut or boost the according frequencies.

• Members

I would never turn the mids up as high as 12 on the 30. That really takes away all the "sparkle" for me. I usually go 6/3/2 treble/mids/bass, and occasionally I pump up the treble a bit more. This is for playing at home to CD's, though.

• Members
I would never turn the mids up as high as 12 on the 30. That really takes away all the "sparkle" for me. I usually go 6/3/2 treble/mids/bass, and occasionally I pump up the treble a bit more. This is for playing at home to CD's, though.

When you're playing with a band, mids are GOOD! Playing at home, yeah, it might sound better with the mids cut, but when you're battling against a bass player and a drummer, those mids are what separates mud from nice, cutting tone.

Plus, when you get the volume up above 4 or 5, you get all the sparkle you'll ever need. :D

• Members

With passive EQ's, you hear the "real" voice of the amp with everything maxed out. What you do when you EQ it down is substract some specific frequencies from the overall sound. Kinda like your guitar tone knob. So some tube amps sound their best with everything maxed out (volumes and EQ ).

With active EQ, the center point is flat and you can either cut or boost the according frequencies.

So is the Classic 30 passive or active EQ?

(That made sense btw)

• Members

So is the Classic 30 passive or active EQ?

(That made sense btw)

Well, the Classics all have passive EQ's except for that presence knob on the C50, wich is an active boost of some high frequencies. All EQ at 12 and presence at 0 is the "normal" or flat sound of a C50 if you are plugged in the normal input. The bright input also has a high freq boost.

• Members

I think he was talking in "hours" as in position on a clock, which would be 6 on the classics.

• Members

I am following this thread because my Fender Deville has had a mishap with moisture. I must purchase a new amp. I will have my Deville repaired but I still need to purchase the same or comparable combo. My only reference point is a Classic 30 I tested at GC. After playing with the settings the clean channel seemed muted. based on reviews and maybe my own unfamiliarity withe the amp maybe that should not be the case here. I am looking at purchasing either another deville or Classic 50 from MF to avoid the tax. Anthing you can share would be helpful. This would be the first purchase I never demo'd.

• Members

I would call the C30's clean channel ANYTHING but muted.

It's quite sparkly and has excellent definition.

I did, notice, that the one time i tested one at GC (before I got mine), it didn't sound that good. Could be the ones at GC are manhandled (as most of their stuff is).

• Members

I did, notice, that the one time i tested one at GC (before I got mine), it didn't sound that good. Could be the ones at GC are manhandled (as most of their stuff is).

you are right. That why its hard to make a fair observation from a quick demo. i am leaning to the Classic 50 Our drummer in mic'ed up pretty good and we have a keyboard player so I need the head room. Did you upgrade the tubes any mods.

• Members

i'm a 30 user.. i mess around with the EQ every so often (like today).. Here's what I'm using right now for bedroom levels (bach apt). I've got a big open 1x12 cab loaded with a big alnico driven speaker..

dirty channel...

treble 10

middle 4

bass 6

reverb 11 (which is really too much except with very low volume)

post 2 and up

pre 10

i throw a The Valve boost/od pedal in front, set anywhere from 11 O'clock to 4 O'clock

Archived