need help and advice on pick ups

pongki

• Members

hi...i just bought epi sg g-310....i plan to replace the stock pu...i want to try seymour duncan.

now, can you guys tell me which seymour duncan that goes well with my epi sg 310?...just in case you want to know, the body is alder (that's what they said on their website, though i'm not sure)...and i play pop rock, hard rock

thanks

• Members

My favorite Seymour Duncan humbuckers are the Seth Lovers.
They have a bright clear organic tone. They aren't for heavy metal though.
They might feedback under extremely high gain situations because they aren't wax potted. But that's the price you pay for great clean to mildly driven tone.

• Members

I have three guitars with 59s (all original but one) and prefer this model overall. I also have the JB and the Custom Custom in bridge position on a Hamer and a Washburn (both stock). These are great for overdriven sounds but not so great for clean IMO. You could always call up the Seymour Duncan site and listen to sound clips. Good luck Pong.

• Members

If you're looking at Duncan's

I think I'd be tempted to try a set of '59s. That would be my first choice.

Second choice, and possibly a bit more aggressive with a higher resonant peak would be a set of Alnico II Pro.

But keep in mind that SGs are a little brighter anyway, then you add alder which is brighter than mahogany, so I'd stay away from anything too bright or too powerful.

But if you wanted more of a crunch machine, you could try a Duncan Custom in the bridge. Or if you want a little more fat in the butt, then the Custom V.

Archived