fingerease - okay for maple necks?

BTBAM

• Members

People say the silicone in fingerease makes it impossible for restoration of a guitar or whatever, but is that just for rosewood necks where the woos drinks up anything? Would this product be fine on maple necks? I tried some of the fast fret and it covered my strings in fuzz balls and made it sound and feel TERRIBLE to slide. I only used that, however on my rosewoods. On my maple necks i put on the fingerease and it feels incredible, but i dont want to continue if it is going to ruin the guitar. Help?

• Members

I use the stuff on all my guitars. I also make and finish my own guitars and have refinished a few that I had used fingerease on. Yes, it must contain some silicones as you will see the finish "fish eye" if you try and coat overtop. However, if you strip and sand down to the bare wood, refinishing is possible - without going into detail yes its possible if you know what you are doing and have the right materials.

Its no different then when I refinish antiques that have been contaminated with years of pledge and other silicone based polishes... it makes the job harder but not impossible.

I use it because I havent found anything else like you that works as well.

AJC

Archived