Inconsistency with Cd burning

Jimbroni

• Members

or not. I don't know what is really goin on here but it is messin with my fragile eggshell mind.

We used Wavlab to master the music from our latest project. So I created a CD Project and inserted the files, burnt a Cd and it sounded good enough. Then we started playing with the track marker positions and decided it would be easier in Montage to do this. WELL, the CD came out screaming loud. After checking some things out, I realised the limiter was on when I burnt the CD. I didn't think that should have an impact, but alas when I turned it off and reburnt the Cd it was back at normal level. So everything was cool so we thought... Upon further listening we found that some very subtle highend was rolled off, compared to the previous non montage version. So putting two and two to together I got out of montage and redid the whole thing with new marker positions in standard CD project. Well some of the highend is back but not all.

What could it be?

Cheap Cds? I'm an idiot? I'm missing something? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Media does have an impact on recordings. I'm only used to it from a data standpoint, but I've seen that susbstandard media can easily corrupt data on burn, or upon storage. I imagine that with high quality audio recording this would be magnified. If the substrate that is being written to is of poor quality that =Audio/Playback poor quality.

• Members

Montage: i see this possibilities at the moment:

a) You have plug-in activated, who will be rendered into the audio before burned to CD. see also c).

b) "Clips>Gain"

here you added gain which will be rendered into the file before burned.

c) You have plug-in's activated. Then you burn with activated:

"Render to temporary file before burning"

under menu "Write CD".

! WaveLab renders all active parameters into the audio before burned to CD. So if you don't wanna apply plug-ins at burning stage, deactivate all plug-in, and have the gain at 0 dB. CD media don't have a influence on the sound, either they work, or are crap and then have errors at playback, or already while burning a error message occours.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimbroni

Thanks Angelo that explains somethings. I thought I was nuts, I don't get why they have it set up to run through plugin pre burn.

That's normal to make adjustments in montage, and a good concept of WaveLab. For example you can lower or rise level in montage, or under:

EDIT>Special>Meta normalizer

you can have all tracks analyzed by RMS & Peak Level and applied to the whole montage, very handy for compilations where the tracks come from different producers with different levels.

I often add spectralizer to arrange mixes i deliver for preview to the engineers or producers, all made in montage of course. All very handy and very fast workflow.

Archived