New Guitar Day! VG Strat.

nick803

• Members

Congrats. I am seriously considering getting one of these.

I do already have a Variax & like it a great deal. I am looking forward to hearing what you think about it, especially the humbucker sounds.

I also want to know if it's dead-quiet while in the modeled guitars like the Variax.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback folks.
My impressions:
Best Strat out of the box I've ever gotten, and I have a few.
Beautiful finish & set-up, nice low action, perfect intonation...what you'd expect from a pricey Americsan Strat.

Now, the neat stuff...
Every mode & tuning sounds awesome!
An amazing piece of electronic equipment.
You can just dial in the alternate tunings, so you don't have to adjust a guitar for the D modal, G, etc...
The Tele mode sounds like a telecaster, the humbucker setting sounds great...I haven't had time to explore all the possibilities , but so far I am thoroughly impressed.

Now, for the negatives, or what some say are negatives...there is no MIDI plug, true. But, on the other hand you have all these great sounds in one instrument that you just plug into any amy with a normal plug, and go to town! Unfortunately, I don't have the hardware to record clips :o , but there are plenty out there already. Maybe I'll get something soon...

Only other downside I see is in the 12 string setting, it naturally doesn't sound like a true 12 since you're only striking one string...but the 12 sound is quite respectable.

I highly recommend it for anyone with the cash to lay out. Fender has a winner here.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback folks.

My impressions:

Best Strat out of the box I've ever gotten, and I have a few.

Beautiful finish & set-up, nice low action, perfect intonation...what you'd expect from a pricey Americsan Strat.

Now, the neat stuff...

Every mode & tuning sounds awesome!

An amazing piece of electronic equipment.

You can just dial in the alternate tunings, so you don't have to adjust a guitar for the D modal, G, etc...

The Tele mode sounds like a telecaster, the humbucker setting sounds great...I haven't had time to explore all the possibilities , but so far I am thoroughly impressed.

Now, for the negatives, or what some say are negatives...there is no MIDI plug, true. But, on the other hand you have all these great sounds in one instrument that you just plug into any amy with a normal plug, and go to town! Unfortunately, I don't have the hardware to record clips
:o
, but there are plenty out there already. Maybe I'll get something soon...

Only other downside I see is in the 12 string setting, it naturally doesn't sound like a true 12 since you're only striking one string...but the 12 sound is quite respectable.

I highly recommend it for anyone with the cash to lay out. Fender has a winner here.

I agree with you 100% here. The guitar is a fantastic investment. I had the chance to demo one today at the local Mom and Pop and was very impressed. It may not have all the models a Variax has, but what it does do I believe it does much better than a Variax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw the video and was impressed, but getting some real-world feedback about the guitar is what I'm waiting for before I decide how deep to dig to get one.

I demo'd a VG yesterday at GC when looking at a variax 600 they had in stock. The VG is much more limited, no external way to power the unit, no editing whatsoever, no creating your own custom pickup type/position configurations, and the range of guitars modelled is much less, only fender instruments. It also doesnt 'talk' to external units.

It seems they took a very limited version of the vg-88 and put it into a strat.

The one nice feature it has over the variax is that the altered tuning is applicable as a switch to any model, however your stuck to the 5 tunings they give you.

Now take a strat and put in the variax electronics and Ill gladly drop a good deal of money.

• Members

While I agree that the VG Strat is very limited compared to a Variax, it does actually have some advantages.

If your batteries die, you can still play it as a normal Strat using the magnetic pickups. Even if the electronics die some day, you still have a good MIA Sttat, if an expensive one.

While the tunings are limited, having separate knobs for the tunings and models lets you easily use any tuning with any model. This is not a more versatile setup than the Variax's, but it is simpler.

Archived