Info on Rickenbacker 660

waw423

• Members

Im about to buy a Rickenbacker 660 for 1300 dollers from a local guitar store. Is this a good deal? It dates to 1985 and is in good condish. All orginal parts. Can someone tell me some info on the 660? How much is a new one

• Members

These days, that maybe a fair price, but i don't know. Until a few years ago, $750-800 was an average price. But every so often Ric gets really hot with players, and right now they are red hot, and their relatively small operation just can't fill orders fast enough. This has driven up prices and really driven up prices on used Rics.

I believe a new 660 runs around $1700 street price (up from about $1000-1100 in '00), and I can tell you my '85 360 was built fair better, with nicer, more detailed construction than any Ric i have seen made from the late '90's on). I would expect the specs to have change a little in 22 years, they have on other models, so use the Ric site specs as a rough guide.

The downside? Rics have been hot in the past and then gone out of fashion, which caused used prices to drop (most recently in the college-rock-driven '80's). However, I expect the current Baby-Boomer driven American guitar craze to continue for some time.

Archived