Agathis? (Squier question)

asdfjkl semi

• Members

Short answer: it is in the conifer family, but is commonly held as a "poor man's mahogany" with regards to guitars, in that it shares similar tone traits.

Longer story - Google "Agathis" or check it out on Wikipedia.

Bottom line, I have an agathis-bodied Squier Tele that I love.

• Members

For any kind of wood there is a wide range of quality that comes under any type or species. Agathis for guitars is (hopefully) chosen for mahogany-like characteristics. (Mahogany itself covers a range of species, some only distantly related, that grow in as far flung places as Central America, Africa, and Southeast Asia.) Some of the (discontinued) DeArmond solid bodies were agathis, and play/sound excellent. In my limited experience, it tends to be on the heavy side.

• Members

i have 2 guitars that are agathis

my platinum series bich and supposedly my squier tele (alder and agathis together some how. according to the site at least, i don't get it)

i actually prefer the sound of agathis to mahogany

• Members

Thanks for the replies, all. Apparently it's plentiful in Asia or somthing??? ; )

Did some google-ing and I read that it is a decent-sounding wood, but it's a softwood and screws and stuff strip/pull out of it sometimes. That's no good in my book. I might have to pass on the Squier I was looking at.

By the way. 200th post.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, all. Apparently it's plentiful in Asia or somthing??? ; )

Did some google-ing and I read that it is a decent-sounding wood, but it's a softwood and screws and stuff strip/pull out of it sometimes. That's no good in my book. I might have to pass on the Squier I was looking at.

By the way. 200th post.

I wouldnt worry about it to much. never had any problems liek taht with Agathis. Not sure but my guess is that Agathis is not as soft a Basswood.

• Members

i have an ibanez soundgear bass from the starter pack it has an agathis body and the screws wore out quick, in fact it's my only guitar where the screws stripped the wood, but it's not that big of a deal if you don't mind either taping it or (what i did-) put a longer screw in, usually the guitars built with the wood are cheaper because agathis-is plentiful in asia. :)

• Members

i have an ibanez soundgear bass from the starter pack it has an agathis body and the screws wore out quick, in fact it's my only guitar where the screws stripped the wood, but it's not that big of a deal if you don't mind either taping it or (what i did-) put a longer screw in, usually the guitars built with the wood are cheaper because agathis-is plentiful in asia.
:)

Yeah, dude, crazy how plentiful the stuff is. It's like its growing on trees over there. It was a bass I was looking at, too. I don't want to have to start making repairs a few months after owning it. Mods, of course, but not repairs. :)

Archived