Speaker cab build thread

OldBluesGuy

• Members
Congrats....looks real nice!!

I just finished building a 1 x 10", open back cabinet.

Didn't come out as nice as your though.

My wood-working skills are.....er.....marginal (that's the polite term for I STINK).

But I had a 10" UTAH Alnico guitar speaker that I was just dying to use.

But being too cheap to buy more than one cab (I have an Earcandy 1 x 12", with a Celestion speaker)), I built my own.

Was worth it though...that 10" Alnico UTAH sounds really sweet with my little tube amp!!

Steve

Thanks so much! :)

I've been building my woodworking skills little by little over the past couple years and it's starting to come together. You got pics of your cab? I'd love to see how yours turned out. :thu:

OBG

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I am looking with interest,how's about a removable and matching plinth for the lower of the two cabs.

Could have the castors inbuilt and for the most part hidden,would serve as a kick board for clumsy feet too.

Sounds great. What's a plinth? :confused:

Thanks,

OBG

• Members

Plinth! The sound a coin makes when it hits the water on edge, diffrent then doink! of a flat landing. So I notice these things, what of it.

But seriously - The plinth in this case would be like a baseboard shape stock around the bottom of the cabinet, would be a nice detail if you were to paint or stain it, might work with the recycled skins of your "python boots"

Where did theManfromAlabam get my picture?

"...that Carl, he's somthing, always thinks of the simplist things first."

• Members
Wow! OMG, that is so trick. that must have cost a small fortune. I love it! I have to have one! GAS!!
:D

Yeah, great looking forum. I can't wait to dig in. I've had to switch back to work mode tonight or I would have already started exploring. Looks like you have all the bases covered. How long has it been up?

I cant recall what it cost. I know it was a few hundred for sure. A little complex to use if you dont use it all the time. Like the Lexicon MPX 1 of woodworking :)

my forum started begining of December

OT Im not always getting notifications of posts here. Is this common?

• Members
I cant recall what it cost. I know it was a few hundred for sure. A little complex to use if you dont use it all the time. Like the Lexicon MPX 1 of woodworking
:)

my forum started begining of December

OT Im not always getting notifications of posts here. Is this common?

Well that's one seriously bad mofo. I think I can get by with something a leetle more basic. :) I'm guessing you have the MPX 1 too?? :D

Your forum is very impressive. I've just started exploring and I can see that you've put a lot of work into it already.

I don't get any notifications at all, so I couldn't tell you.

OBG

• Members
Plinth! The sound a coin makes when it hits the water on edge, diffrent then doink! of a flat landing. So I notice these things, what of it.

But seriously - The plinth in this case would be like a baseboard shape stock around the bottom of the cabinet, would be a nice detail if you were to paint or stain it, might work with the recycled skins of your
"python boots"

Where did theManfromAlabam get my picture?

"...that Carl, he's somthing, always thinks of the simplist things first."

I don't know about all this... doesn't sound very rock 'n roll if ya know what I mean. "Dude! That plinth is bangin'! Rock on!".... Nah, I don't see it.

Bman rulez!!

• Members
Well that's one seriously bad mofo. I think I can get by with something a leetle more basic.
I'm guessing you have the MPX 1 too??
:D

Your forum is very impressive. I've just started exploring and I can see that you've put a lot of work into it already.

I don't get any notifications at all, so I couldn't tell you.

OBG

I got the Incra Jig as a gift. I would have bought something simpler as well. There is a wonderful selection of fences available. You can also make your own. I made a few specialty ones myself out of that aluminum strut used for machinery. like in this image

new_80_20_profiles.jpg

Unfortunately they were stolen so I cant show you. do a google image search for "router table fence" and you will see all kinds of cool stuff.

Heres some cool stuff http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=90

A router with a properly setup fence makes a great edge jointer too. Eliminating most of the need for another stationary tool if projects are reasonably sized.

Mpx1- yup I had one sold it and my ADA MP1 3TM this week.

anybody have suggestions for the name of a woodworking forum?

• Members
I got the Incra Jig as a gift. I would have bought something simpler as well. There is a wonderful selection of fences available. You can also make your own. I made a few specialty ones myself out of that aluminum strut used for machinery. like in this image

new_80_20_profiles.jpg

Unfortunately they were stolen so I cant show you. do a google image search for "router table fence" and you will see all kinds of cool stuff.

Heres some cool stuff
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=90

A router with a properly setup fence makes a great edge jointer too. Eliminating most of the need for another stationary tool if projects are reasonably sized.

Mpx1- yup I had one sold it and my ADA MP1 3TM this week.

anybody have suggestions for the name of a woodworking forum?

I'm really starting to develop serious GAS now for a router table. How would you use one as an edge jointer? Straight bit with the fences offset?

If I think of any names, I'll let you know.

• Members

I'm really starting to develop serious GAS now for a router table. How would you use one as an edge jointer? Straight bit with the fences offset?

yup thats exactly it. One of the fence systems has a precision shim kit for just this purpose

Theres some pretty slick devices for raising and lowering the router in the table. They are expensive.

I keep a bosch 2hp plunge router in my table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi I'm a newbie. I'm about to build a combo amp and wanted the cabinet to be funky and cheap. Does the material for the grill cloth matter? Does it have to be "grill cloth" or can it be any material. I want it to be funky but good tone. I want to use found wood and maybe an old tee shirt for the grill. Thanks.

• Members

Hi I'm a newbie. I'm about to build a combo amp and wanted the cabinet to be funky and cheap. Does the material for the grill cloth matter? Does it have to be "grill cloth" or can it be any material. I want it to be funky but good tone. I want to use found wood and maybe an old tee shirt for the grill. Thanks.

Interesting idea you have. Kind of a "Green Combo"

you can use anything as long as it doesnt block the sound. Most grill cloth stretched tight does afford a reasonable level of protection for the speaker. I would certainly put some kind of grill material behind the shirt as a shirt by itself wont offer much protection at all. Keep in mind wood types do affect tone too.

• Members

Well I'm no expert - this is my first cab build, but I don't see why you couldn't use an old T-shirt. One of the jobs of the grille cloth is to protect the speaker and a T-shirt won't do that as well as grille cloth. Just my 2 cents. You can still go cheap and use good materials. There are folks selling grille cloth on ebay for not too much. You're going to put a lot of time into building this and you're going to want it to last. You can use good, reliable wood and materials and still get funky with it. Good luck! :)

OBG

• Members

Great thread, I think your cab turned out great !
I've got a homemade 1x12 and now you have me wanting to build the 2x12. The problem is, both my 12" speakers are 8 ohms. Is there any way to wire up two 8 ohm speakers and come up with something other than 4 or 16 ?

• Members

Great thread, I think your cab turned out great !

I've got a homemade 1x12 and now you have me wanting to build the 2x12. The problem is, both my 12" speakers are 8 ohms. Is there any way to wire up two 8 ohm speakers and come up with something other than 4 or 16 ?

nope. Ohms law applies here

If you have a stereo power amp you can wire the cab so each speaker has its own input

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Back in March I asked about grill cloth on an amp I was going to build. Well, with some help from my friends, we built the amp. I decided against using a t-shirt and found wood. I used 1" x 8" hobby grade pine and some "speaker cloth" from my local fabric store. I did use "found" (on the side of the road) plywood for the baffle. Here's a link to a page I put together about it: http://www.knology.net/~cyclops-mark/amp.html
Please excuse the crappy pictures, I spent all of my money on the amp and not a digital camers.

• Members
Back in March I asked about grill cloth on an amp I was going to build. Well, with some help from my friends, we built the amp. I decided against using a t-shirt and found wood. I used 1" x 8" hobby grade pine and some "speaker cloth" from my local fabric store. I did use "found" (on the side of the road) plywood for the baffle. Here's a link to a page I put together about it:
http://www.knology.net/~cyclops-mark/amp.html

Please excuse the crappy pictures, I spent all of my money on the amp and not a digital camers.

Cool
:thu:

Archived