Grizzly Man

Mike51

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

The movie was terrible in that the "Grizzly Man," IMO, was the worst kind of environmentalist, which is to say a nut job who really had no respect for nature and wild animals at all. He was probably clinically mentally ill, and definitely he had the maturity level of a child. His virtually non-stop, petulant rants to the camera and his bizarre, child-like rants about loving animals demonstrate that he was what he says he is, a person who does not fit into human society. That much he is right about.

Exactly. I've only seen the trailer, but the guy is annoying at best. He had no respect for the generally accepted code of conduct in the woods: never approach, handle, feed, or disturb wildlife.

Let's just hope that he doesn't inspire hoards of other misfits to commune with grizzlies.

P.S. Where do you do your shooting? Have any images online?

• Moderators

Originally posted by Counterpoint

Exactly. I've only seen the trailer, but the guy is annoying at best. He had no respect for the generally accepted code of conduct in the woods: never approach, handle, feed, or disturb wildlife.

Let's just hope that he doesn't inspire hoards of other misfits to commune with grizzlies.

P.S. Where do you do your shooting? Have any images online?

I do.

I've been published by several national parks, and in a couple of magazines. I'm trying to keep a low profile because I'm NOT a professional photographer and I really don't want the parks classifying me as one, because then access becomes strictly regulated.

I've also sold a couple dozen photos as stock. Oddly enough, by far the most I've ever been paid for a single image was for a dew covered spider web taken during a backpacking trip in the Big Thicket nature preserve. A megacorporation chose to use that image for the cover of a stockholder document concerning their digital switches used on the world wide "web." Cheesy, but nice $$$. :freak:

HERE is a link to the Glacier National Park Visitor's guide where a couple of my grizzly photos can be seen on page 3 of the PDF. I donated these two images to the park as a small token of my appreciation for all the peace I've found there packing their beautiful back country over the last 20 years.

Glacier Park also has several other grizzly images I shot that they use for bear safety education presentations, also donated.

Not only am I not a professional photographer, but I'm not particularly interested in animals. I prefer landscapes. But hey, I come prepared, and when the park is giving critters instead of sunsets, I shoot critters. :)

Terry D.

P.S. I'll leave you with a few random landscape images I happen to have on line presently:

Moraine Lake, Alberta

Great Smoky Mountains NP ]

Univ. of Texas

Smokies

• Members

Interesting stuff. I watched the film again last evening, and the director did note that Treadwell was in fact alone most of the time.

I have seen grizzly in the wild(although not as close as Mr. Knobs - his grizzly photo is in the Glacier yearly pamphlet). By the way Mr/ Knobs, why did they stop handing those out at Glacier? I had to request one at the Two Medicine entrance this year.

Glacier National Park is simply amazing. The northern rockies, from NW Wyoming to Alberta are amazing.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Mike51

Interesting stuff. I watched the film again last evening, and the director did note that Treadwell was in fact alone most of the time.

Thanks for checking that out. I guess it was only the last few times he took company with him and hid that information from the viewer.

I have seen grizzly in the wild(although not as close as Mr. Knobs - his grizzly photo is in the Glacier yearly pamphlet). By the way Mr/ Knobs, why did they stop handing those out at Glacier? I had to request one at the Two Medicine entrance this year.

As you know, those grizzlies actually touched me, which was a little too close for comfort.
:eek:

As it was told to me, the park service decided they could cut back on money by only handing out the visitor guides upon request. I was told they print 1.5 - 2
million
of the newspaper like guides each year, and a similar amount of park maps. So it really adds up. I guess they figure not everyone coming into the park really cares about the info in the guides, so maybe they can print fewer of them and still keep everyone happy.

Glacier National Park is simply amazing. The northern rockies, from NW Wyoming to Alberta are amazing.

Yes, sir! Stunningly beautiful, and you can pack for weeks through parts of it without seeing another human being.
:)

Terry D.

• Members

I watched the film a couple days ago.

I'm not smart enough to intellectualize about it but...

Treadwell followed where his spirit said to go. Sure, some of his ramblings sounded a little off, but he was in a place where you wouldn't have to be careful to "think out loud" for fear of having people think you're nuts.

I don't really see him as crazy; he stated the obvious dangers of his situation...he knew, and he accepted it. Yeah, he had an agry rant toward the end of the film that didn't come across so well, but how rational and pretty and acceptable are any of us when we get really pissed-off? Who knows how much crap the guy had to take, or how much it had been building up?

He took responsibility for his life and got away from the bull{censored}. Where he went was harsh, but honest. Can't blame him for wanting to get away from people, can you? Hell, If I was single, I might do something similar but less risky.

Anyway...just my two cents...

Later

• Members

Some lyrics from a Todd Rundgren song "Fair Warning" just came to mind. Reminds me of Tread:

Fair Warning

You know, wishing won't make it so

Hoping won't do it, praying won't do it

Religion won't do it, philosophy won't do it

The supreme court won't do it,

the president and the congress won't do it

The UN won't do it, the H-bomb won't do it,

the sun and the moon won't do it

And God won't do it,

and I certainly won't do it

That leaves you, you'll have to do it

I know that you've been wondering

if I'm the same man inside

Never tried to fool you

'cause I've got nothing to hide

I gave you fair warning I could never be tied down

'Til I've seen paradise with my very own eyes

Love owns us all, Time owns us all, Life owns us all

But the world doesn't own me

Dontcha follow me now

I ain't afraid to say I may have been wrong

I have to go now

I'd rather live by a dream than live by a lie

And that's why

There ain't no cure for what I've got baby

We just have to suffer

I feel no pain, I can't complain,

things could always be rougher

But I picked up this banner

and I just can't put it down (No)

I can't let the world die just 'cause no one would try

Dontcha follow me now

Everybody's got to find his own place in the sun,

everyone

So shine on me now

I'd rather live by a dream then live by a lie

You can say what you will about me

talk is cheap and I don't mind

When you lay your life down in them grooves

you know you're bound to get scratched up sometime

It's only just a song, pay me no mind

I have to go now

You've got to walk that road alone

if you walk it at all

Don't follow me now

I gave you all fair warning

Now it's goodbye

And every once in a while why don't you think of me

'Cause it's a long, long time and a long way to go

Can't you see the light shining in my eyes

'Cause it's just one victory

'Cause your dream goes on forever

Don't you know that I've been trying

to get my trip together

Be a real man

I got to be a real man

1, 2, 3, do it one more time

Be a real man

Everybody be a real man

Go then, don't believe, and I don't know

'Cause I got to be a real man

You can be a man, a real man

I'll swim that river, climb that mountain

You and me, we all gotta be, real men

• Moderators

Originally posted by came2play

He took responsibility for his life and got away from the bull{censored}. Where he went was harsh, but honest. Can't blame him for wanting to get away from people, can you? Hell, If I was single, I might do something similar but less risky.

I'm all about freedom. If that's what he wanted to do, and knew the risk he took, then that was his choice.

The only thing I hold against him is he took that girl with him. She was afraid, but he talked her into it.

But R.I.P. to both of them. But for the grace of God, I'd be where they are now.

Terry D.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by deanmass

I just got done watchnig this...

What a nutt, but, he was his own person...This is one fo the weirdest people I have ever seen on camera.

Did they decide NTO to incldue the audio? Caus eit was not on the DVD

In an interview, Herzog stated that decided not to include the audio because it was too....Grizzly. I think he was serious when he told that woman that the tape should be destroyed.

I think it was more than luck that kept him alive all those summers. Although he seemed to misunderstand the bears on so many levels, I get the sense that Tredwell really did know how to handle the bears- knew how to act to keep them at bay. He may have known something that even rangers/natives/"experts" don't know.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

Nice picks, Knobs!

I had several up-close run-ins with Grizzlys in Glacier when I worked at Lake McDonald Lodge in 1993. BUT, I think the most danger I was in was when a mountain goat charged me! I miss that place - haven't been back since, unfortunately.

• Members

I really was laughing a good portion of the movie. Sad story in a way, but kind of ridiculous, especially the way he was talking to the bears, like they were puppets in Mr Rogers Neighborhood.

I really think what happened was..

The bears got together, and said 'ok, I know some of you are not liking it, but we need to eat this {censored}er, cause he is driving Mr. Chocolate crazy and he keeps coming back, so paper rocks scissors on 3....Loser has to take him out, the rest of us are moving upstream to get some fish...

There are 1000 Far Side cartoons to be drawn just on Timmy alone...The only one I really felt sorry for was the girl that was with him, but god knows what he said to her off camera to get her to say.

Ultimately, he did help the bears. he provided at least one with food.

New motto..

www.grizzlypeople.com.....We Deliver!

Archived