Help! Shipping a bass/guitar to England?

azzzy

• Members

Has anyone shipped a bass (or at least a guitar) to England from the US? What courier did you use? How much did it cost? I looked into USPS but there is a 46" length limit and the bass I need to send is 48" long. And even at 46" it's almost $200. UPS can accept the size but their price is even higher - like $250-300! :eek: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Members

u checked the size limits of all USPS shipping methods?they are different...and probably they will let it pass if it just a small size difference, u should try..

Yes, I have checked the limits thoroughly and talked to USPS on the phone. They definitely do not accept the packages that exceed their limits - I've had a very frustrating experience with shipping to Eastern Europe very recently.

• Members

$200? Does that include extra insurance or something? I've paid around $100 for the 2 guitars I've bought from the US (with USPS).

And can't you take the neck off for shipping?

A 25 lb. box via the type of mailing that allows up to 46" in length comes up to $190. + shipping materials. That's about $200. Of course, that's with the neck on. I have not thought about taking the neck off. That's a good idea. Thanks.

I do wonder however if there is a specialty courier to UK for US. That's what I ended up doing when I needed to send a MusicMan bass over to Ukraine. It was cheaper than USPS (a little slower) and their size limits were much higher.

• Members

A 25 lb. box via the type of mailing that allows up to 46" in length comes up to $190. + shipping materials. That's about $200. Of course, that's with the neck on. I have not thought about taking the neck off. That's a good idea. Thanks.

I do wonder however if there is a specialty courier to UK for US. That's what I ended up doing when I needed to send a MusicMan bass over to Ukraine. It was cheaper than USPS (a little slower) and their size limits were much higher.

It's a volume thing, right. One came in a standard guitar box, securely wrapped of course. I don't think it's such a good idea to ship it like that even though I was lucky and it arrived in one piece :) The other was in a soft case and the box was a little bigger. Ask him if it's OK to take off the neck first.

• Members
Ask him if it's OK to take off the neck first.

He was the one who suggested it just now. :) I didn't even think of it. To be frank I'd rather not do that because the bass is pretty much new - it's been out of its bag less than a dozen times and I don't wanna f*ck with it. It's set up perfectly too. I'd do it if that's the only way.

• Members
there is also FedEx

FedEx actually is cheaper - just over $200 for economy. Which is almost the same as the USPS. But still that's almost have of the cost of the bass! :eek: I guess taking off the neck is necessary. Poop. :rolleyes:

• Members
$200 is really a lot of money considering that customs/tax will be calculated based on the value of the item + the shipping costs.

Well, I have no problem with declaring a value lower than it is to save the buyer money. I sent a $1000 MusicMan Stingray 5 with a value of $50 to Ukraine. :) But of course, I'd like to save the buyer as much money on the shipping as possible. So it looks like neck is coming off.

• Members

Well, I have no problem with declaring a value lower than it is to save the buyer money. I sent a $1000 MusicMan Stingray 5 with a value of $50 to Ukraine.
:)
But of course, I'd like to save the buyer as much money on the shipping as possible. So it looks like neck is coming off.

Depends on how smart customs is :D If they doubt that the declared value is correct he may have to show proof of the purchase. I even had to do that for a silly box of webstrings once (12 sets), they didn't believe that I paid a dollar per set--which I obviously didn't--so I had to go to the customs office and show them the invoice.

Had to do the same for the 2 US guitars I bought, declared correctly or not. They are that bad here in Germany :o

• Members
Depends on how smart customs is
:D
If they doubt that the declared value is correct he may have to show proof of the purchase. I even had to do that for a silly box of webstrings once (12 sets), they didn't believe that I paid a dollar per set--which I obviously didn't--so I had to go to the customs office and show them the invoice.

Had to do the same for the 2 US guitars I bought, declared correctly or not. They are that bad here in Germany
:o

There is nothing easier than to alter an electronic invoice such as a PayPal receipt. Especially if the neck is off the body you can always say these are just parts, in which case $50 is plausible.

Archived