H.264: Beautiful!

Brittanylips

• Members

I've been hearing all sorts of praise for the H.264 codec - it's ability to retain unprecedented detail while compressing efficiently, the role it's about to play in the distribution of Hi-Def video, etc.

H.264 is in the latest version of Apple QuickTime. I understand that Microsoft has a version of H.264 in its latest MediaPlayer as well.

Here's an example of it on the net. Be sure to click on the H.264 links if your system will play it or jump right to the extended H.264 version.

It's an ad for Sony's latest LCD TVs. Forget about the fact that it's an ad. The montage of images and music by Jos

• Members

Unfortunately, after a long wait, I was informed that the QuickTime Pro player which I updated 3 days ago [the update of which 'highjacked' my carefully set up media/player associations, thank you very much, Steve Jobs] is "missing important software needed to play this video and it is not on the QuickTime server."

Fairly typical of the experiences I've had with Quicktime Pro since I bought it.

Not only that, when I tried it a second time, it 'broke' the Sony site, which then proceeded to give me a scrambled page with an apparently completely unrelated form of some kind.

This ad is not ready for prime time.

• Members

I've never been able to get Quicktime to run on a Windows PC. I don't know if this is just incompetence on Apples part, or an attempt to sabotage Windows users.

hehe - just spotted that i've set myself up for a "maybe it's incompetence on your part" ... very possibly.

All I know is that whenever I try to run a Quicktime movie from my browser, it asks if I want to get the latest version and it farts about and downloads some {censored} but never actually works.

I've installed various applications that load Quicktime, and they never work either.

If I cared I could probably resolve this, but I'd rather stick to solid Windows apps that work - even RealMedia works but I hate it.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Unfortunately, after a
long
wait, I was informed that the QuickTime Pro player which I updated 3 days ago [the update of which 'highjacked' my carefully set up media/player associations, thank you very much, Steve Jobs] is "missing important software needed to play this video and it is not on the QuickTime server."

Sorry to hear that. If you get it to work, it really is beautiful. Don't know why you're having the problems, mine is working fine. You would think if you updated QT Pro a few days ago (I know the latest OS requires updating the QT Pro Key - I assume you updated to 10.4.4) that it should work well. Maybe some files or preferences have been corrupted? In any case, sorry to hear it's not working.

-Peace, Love, and Blips

Archived