How much do bigsbys kill sustain?

Vince

• Members

I added a bigsby to my Tokai LP just before christmas last year and it sounded fine with my old Matamp C7, but since I've got my Valvetech Hayseed 30, I find myself hardly ever playing it. I was trying to get to the bottom of this last night and was playing it unplugged and it wasn't sustaining much. The tone seemed quite dull and lifeless. It's got a very low nut, so I'm thinking it's a combination of the 2 (bigsby and nut), but I could be wrong.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Also, playing into a vox type amp, which do you prefer - P90's or Humbuckers for overdriven sounds?

• Members

Depends on the guitar. I used to own a Gibson Trini Lopez with a Bigsby replacing the standard Trini trapeze tailpiece, and it added major mass to the butt of the guitar, improving the on-strap balance and substantially increasing both sustain and tonal richness. On the other hand, it made the guitar weigh a ton, changing strings was a major nightmare and for anything other than the mildest wiggles, it was virtually useless.

• Members

Hard to tell. It will definatly reduce the Break Angle of the String over the bridge? Which in theory should also reduce the sustain? But its gonna change fron guitar to guitar? I really like to HEAR the difference immediatly. For Example, I just went form a Flush mounted Trem to a Floating Trem on my Strat. And I heard the difference in Tone immediatly. More sustain with a Flush mount......but cleaner clearer Tone with it Floating. Problem with a Bigsby is by the time you make the change? Its a significant amout of time. If its ONLY a slight difference? You will convince yourself in your head....That it sounds better? Or it will be obvious it isn't! Good Luck with it!

• Members

Hard to tell. It will definatly reduce the Break Angle of the String over the bridge? Which in theory should also reduce the sustain? But its gonna change fron guitar to guitar? I really like to HEAR the difference immediatly. For Example, I just went form a Flush mounted Trem to a Floating Trem on my Strat. And I heard the difference in Tone immediatly. More sustain with a Flush mount......but cleaner clearer Tone with it Floating. Problem with a Bigsby is by the time you make the change? Its a significant amout of time. If its ONLY a slight difference? You will convince yourself in your head....That it sounds better? Or it will be obvious it isn't! Good Luck with it!

There's no reduction of break angle as the bigsby has a roller bar on it.

I might just not be liking the P90's with my new amp - I think I'll go back to the old pickups and see if it improves.

Archived