American minimalism

GeoffonTour

• Members

Originally posted by GeoffonTour

I'm 19, & the project is basically a 40 minute presentation on a subject of our choice. So far a couple of drummers have done the history of drums/cymbals (both ran to an hour & a half) and a guitarist did the history of metal (an hour) so with all the music I'm playing I've been trying to keep the text as concise as possible.

I've been using wikipedia as my main resource of information as it's fantastic for context (everything is interlinked, generally the more times a name shows up the more important they were) and a few other sites including kylegann.com which was where I got the impression that minimalism was no longer a practical form of music.

I would've like to start the project much earlier on as I would've been able to filter far more information, but it probably would've ended up too long. I'm hoping to be able to answer questions on the backgrounds of the composers as I've been reading far more than I've written (it's not really a written exam).

It's been said that the shorter the presentation, the greater the preparation. (it's easier to speak on and on than to present something short and sweet).

Reading up on as much as possible is probably a good idea so that when you are making your presentation, you see the forest through the trees, and are prepared to respond to questions. obviously, as has been said, the more you know the music, the better.

I still like your first approach - to show how minimalism has influenced, or is connected to, popular music. I think you could talk about that all day long. I think it would be easy to play something by a minimalist composer, and then play, say, something by Paul Simon or another popular musician whose music also features minimalist traits and shared influences. You could play electronica, R&B, rap, etc., and show how the repetitive rhythmic cells share much in common with minimalism. Then, as you suggested above, you could present software like Cubase, and show how the looping functions, and the way it deals with chunks of music is also, in many ways, minimalist, and how the technology itself influences the music created with it.

After (or before) your presentation, why don't you rent Koyaanisquatsi and check it out with some friends/mates/buddies/or whatever you call them where you are. It's great to watch, it won't feel like you're doing homework, and it's great to have on during a party.

Good luck.

-Peace, Love, and Blips

• Members

Did the presentation today, came to exactly 40 minutes which was a bonus, still gotta hand in my research material and get a mark, but I managed not to bore anyone (couple people in my class have very short attention span & they said it was interesting)

Thanks to everyone who replied, specially britannylips, much appreciated. First thread I've had over a page :p

• Members

Originally posted by GeoffonTour

Did the presentation today, came to exactly 40 minutes which was a bonus, still gotta hand in my research material and get a mark, but I managed not to bore anyone (couple people in my class have very short attention span & they said it was interesting)

Thanks to everyone who replied, specially britannylips, much appreciated. First thread I've had over a page
:p

Glad to hear it went well. Congrats and happy to help.

I usually don't discuss musical stuff in this forum. I'm generally here just for chit chat, procrastination, breaks from my own music work, and to patter about equipment. But if adding my .02 helps someone advance their research for school - then that's the very best use of my drain on bandwidth.

- Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Archived