Stadium/arena shows, the first signs of imminent danger?

sabriel9v

• Members

On the other hand, there will be a lot more bands than ever before who will be able to play 1,500-capacity clubs, which is the best environment to see a band in anyways, so it's hard to complain. .

So true. I'd say 800-1000 capacity is even better!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So is it a rock issue or a venue issue? I agree, the Nickle-theory of-three doors down-creed package is also shiite. But there are great rock outfits out there.

Plus a ton of other great artists.

Hockey arenas sounded like shiite in 1969 and sound like shiite today

I didn't go see a rock act, even though there were many, I went to see a great show. I couldn't see it on DVD, there wasn't any.

Prices are also threatening. Is that always the artists issue? Large venues, big tours = way to many people in the production food chain, they all gotta eat.

With the economy the way it is, it ain't gonna get any better over the next 5 years

• Members

So true. I'd say 800-1000 capacity is even better!

Man, not for me, at all. I am an old fart, granted, but pretty much any club sucks for me. I like going to a concert hall. Best place around here is Ruth Eckerd in Clearwater. Seats about 2,000, so if you buy tickets when they come out you can almost always get one. Big enough to have good acts - I've seen Lyle Lovett there, Joe Satriani, Steve Earle, some other really good concerts. Good looking place, nice comfortable seats. Acoustics are outstanding and every seat in the place is pretty good. People sit in their seats and listen to the music and for the most part they shut the f*ck up. Safe area, tons of parking, 30 minutes from my house.

Clubs are about people drinking, trying to get laid, being there to be seen, the acoustics almost always suck so it's impossible to get a great sound (in most clubs), you're likely to be on your feet all night, lots of drunks, bathrooms are an adventure. If you want to actually listen to the music, a concert hall is better IMHO.

• Members

I have not seen a live "show" since I saw Genesis in Seattle around 1981. I refuse to do ticketmaster. That said, I really enjoy my concert DVD's like Pulse, and the Austrailian Eagles concert made me finally appreciate that group. And the Pulse concert light show, etc. could not have been possible without huge crowds justifying it. It is more than just music. It is really an entertainment extravaganza.

But I wish HDTV had existed back then...

• Members

I suspect that your stadium band has now supplanted that big show with an HBO pay per view special...set up for a concert DVD...it all works out...acts today are probably reaching millions now....

I suspect another groundbreaker will come along...another Jimi Hendrix...another Nirvanna that knocked out the 80s metal guys, who knocked out the 70s stuff, and disco......maybe some band will come along and deal with the rap/hip hop/emo stuff...and go another direction...it feels like were are ready for change...doesn't it...???

• Members

On the other hand, there will be a lot more bands than ever before who will be able to play 1,500-capacity clubs, which is the best environment to see a band in anyways, so it's hard to complain. Check out the band in my avatar - 20 years ago, they wouldn't have been playing the 9:30 Club, they would have languished in obscurity.

Nah, I think A Place to Bury Strangers would've done just fine 20 years ago. Those guys are very popular around Brooklyn because they own the Death By Audio house and do a lot of stuff outside of just their band. They've got those networkin skillz

I have not seen a live "show" since I saw Genesis in Seattle around 1981.

Did Phil Collins do any insane drum solos with Chester Thompson?

Archived