Taming the wild Vibro Champ

Karma1

• Members

Many thanks for all the responses and advice - much appreciated.

I tried a 12 AU7 preamp tube in it today and it did keep it clean all the way to 10, however, as Jerry_Picker said it did cut the volume quite a bit.

I got a number of responses about getting a bigger amp or expecting too much volume out of the Vibro Champ. I already have two much larger amps I can use for gigging (Mesa Boogie and Marshall). I want this amp more for studio recording, so volume isn't as important to me as clean headroom. But I can definitely appreciate what you are saying.

Well, our point is, you aren't going to get anymore headroom. You're pretty much maxed out on how much clean volume you can coax from that amp. All the mods and tube changes do is get you the same volume on different knob settings.

• Members

Many thanks for all the responses and advice - much appreciated.

I tried a 12 AU7 preamp tube in it today and it did keep it clean all the way to 10, however, as Jerry_Picker said it did cut the volume quite a bit.

I got a number of responses about getting a bigger amp or expecting too much volume out of the Vibro Champ. I already have two much larger amps I can use for gigging (Mesa Boogie and Marshall). I want this amp more for studio recording, so volume isn't as important to me as clean headroom. But I can definitely appreciate what you are saying.

One way to get more volume out of a Champ at the same volume settings (all things being equal) is to use a more efficient speaker. That is one reason I am fond of the Weber ceramic Sig8. It is not a particularly refined or nuanced speaker, but it does deliver very serviceable tone for rock and blues, and is noticeably louder than an alnico speaker. Again, I sometimes use twin Champs for gigging against an electronic drum kit and another guitar and bass.

• Members

Jerry, you and Wyatt should do a book/article somewhere on Vibrochamps and how to get the best out of 'em. Thanks for the free wisdom.
For clarification, what speaker would work in my VC that is nuanced? I'm not playing out, only at home and volume isn't a priority.

Archived