pickups vs. wood type

Saint Frank

• Members

I just recently did a big pup swap in 4 of my guits. I'm really happy with three of them but can't seem to cotton to the sound of the modded Squier Tele. It sounded pretty good with the ceramic stock pups (even if the sound was a little one dimensional) but I want this to be my main rocker for live work so I put my trusty old Pre B1 in the bridge (sounded awesome in my ESP Tele) and slapped the HB from my 51 in the neck.

Not totally impressed.

So I took out the 51 pup and replaced it with a Carvin 22 I had sitting around. Much better in the middle position but the mids on the DiMarzio are killing! What happened to the great sound I got out of this pup in my ash ESP? I'm wondering if the pronounced mids in the DiMarzio and the alder wood (supposedly) in the Tele are just too much mid boost. Does anyone know enough about tone woods to give an assessment here? Any suggestions for specs to look for to complement the wood in the Squier?

• Members

What model Tele is it? Vintage modified? What model DiMarzio?

The Tele is an Affinity (yeah, yeah, I know) and the pup is a Pre B1. The pup is supposed to clock in about 14k. It sounded great in my ESP but I wanted to put that back to pure Tele goodness and the Pre B1 was a little hot for that.

• Members

I just recently did a big pup swap in 4 of my guits. I'm really happy with three of them but can't seem to cotton to the sound of the modded Squier Tele. It sounded pretty good with the ceramic stock pups (even if the sound was a little one dimensional) but I want this to be my main rocker for live work so I put my trusty old Pre B1 in the bridge (sounded awesome in my ESP Tele) and slapped the HB from my 51 in the neck.

Not totally impressed.

So I took out the 51 pup and replaced it with a Carvin 22 I had sitting around. Much better in the middle position but the mids on the DiMarzio are killing! What happened to the great sound I got out of this pup in my ash ESP? I'm wondering if the pronounced mids in the DiMarzio and the alder wood (supposedly) in the Tele are just too much mid boost. Does anyone know enough about tone woods to give an assessment here? Any suggestions for specs to look for to complement the wood in the Squier?

The DiMarzio Twang king bridge has about the same output as the Pre-B1 but with a lower DC-resistance (8.07). The lower DC is going to give you less mids and a little more highs. Might be worth try.

How about Duncans? 59 neck humbucker and a Jerry Donahue bridge. I bet that would rock.

• Members

The DiMarzio Twang king bridge has about the same output as the Pre-B1 but with a lower DC-resistance (8.07). The lower DC is going to give you less mids and a little more highs. Might be worth try.

How about Duncans? 59 neck humbucker and a Jerry Donahue bridge. I bet that would rock.

That does sound like a nice combination. A little pricey for me, though.

Maybe this:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfaovpotebr.html

GFS's Fat body.

• Members

I thought it had been conclusively presumed by our resident "scientists" that wood cannot play any meaningful role in the sound of an electric guitar; therefore we must conclude that your pickups are broken, since they don't sound the same on one guitar as on another....

In other news, "scientists" reveal proof that bumblebees can't fly; lawsuits alleging massive fraud and cover-up are filed against the Bumblebee Union....

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Frank!

• Members

That does sound like a nice combination. A little pricey for me, though.

Maybe this:

GFS's Fat body.

Mabye. I am really not the person to ask about GFS pups....but I am sure someone will ring in about them.

Edit>>>Have you tried hooking up the Pre-B1 out of phase? All you need to do is reverse the leads. Put the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive. You know...switch them around. It's def' worth a try and might save you some bucks.

• Members
I thought it had been conclusively presumed by our resident "scientists" that wood cannot play any meaningful role in the sound of an electric guitar; therefore we must conclude that your pickups are broken, since they don't sound the same on one guitar as on another....

In other news, "scientists" reveal proof that bumblebees can't fly; lawsuits alleging massive fraud and cover-up are filed against the Bumblebee Union....

LOL! :D

• Members

Mabye. I am really not the person to ask about GFS pups....but I am sure someone will ring in about them.

Edit>>>Have you tried hooking up the Pre-B1 out of phase? All you need to do is reverse the leads. Put the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive. You know...switch them around. It's def' worth a try and might save you some bucks.

Yeah, I tried that. It just sounded like crap in the middle position. No difference in the bridge position.

• Members

I would beg to differ from the resident "scientists" then.;)

• Members
Back to the "drawing board" then..........
:)

Can you push the pole pcs down a bit on the pup?

Nah, they're flat to the top of the bobbin.

I'm thinking I just need something a lot more traditional Tele sounding but with more output.

Any reason to go shopping for guit stuff, ya know...;)

• Members

I don't know dude, it all sounds like a lot of work to me. Personaly I would scrap the squire and go back to the ESP with pre B1 PUP. Seymor Duncan website was some info on PUP/ wood combinations

I'd really like to retire the ESP for live use. The frets are getting awfully worn (trying to hold off the inevitable refret as long as possible) and that poor guit has seen a lot of abuse over the years. It deserves a rest!

I think with the right pups the Squier can be a decent guitar for live use. I just gotta find the right combo of pups and wood.

• Members
I'd really like to retire the ESP for live use. The frets are getting awfully worn (trying to hold off the inevitable refret as long as possible) and that poor guit has seen a lot of abuse over the years. It deserves a rest!

I think with the right pups the Squier can be a decent guitar for live use. I just gotta find the right combo of pups and wood.

pics of the squier?

Archived