What Bigsby for my tele?

zepfan976

• Members

why not get a les tremlike reverend uses instead of a Bigsby?

flatroc_page.jpg

I had a Bigsby installed and it ruined the guitar....

DSC01019.jpg

It sure as hell looked cool, but zapped the sustain

Also my tech couldn't get the action where I like it.. even when he shimmed the neck.

Bigsby's look cool.. but on a flat top like a tele they really don't work well.

They sure do work well on Gretsch Arch Tops...

• Members

forgive me for not knowing, but what's the bigsby curse?

see this guitar?

guitar_600.jpg

Paul Bigsby came up with that design with Merle Travis in the late 1940's. It sported a revolutionairy headstock with all strings on one side giving a straight pull from the nut, making tuning stability better. It was also one of the first solid body guitars ever made.

Leo Fender saw the design and said "hmm... I like that" and copied the singlecut, headstock, and solid body design and built the Telecaster

Bigsby "cursed" Leo for stealing his designs. So by putting a "Bigsby" on your tele, as opposed to the later "F" stamped models, you're making it easy for the curse to reach your guitar. Although you arent safe with the "F" stamp either, take a look at RothnRoll for example, a prime example of the curse in action, the F is better as it takes longer for the curse to reach the guitar

:D

• Members

see this guitar?

guitar_600.jpg

Paul Bigsby came up with that design with Merle Travis in the late 1940's. It sported a revolutionairy headstock with all strings on one side giving a straight pull from the nut, making tuning stability better. It was also one of the first solid body guitars ever made.

Leo Fender saw the design and said "hmm... I like that" and copied the singlecut, headstock, and solid body design and built the Telecaster

Bigsby "cursed" Leo for stealing his designs. So by putting a "Bigsby" on your tele, as opposed to the later "F" stamped models, you're making it easy for the curse to reach your guitar. Although you arent safe with the "F" stamp either, take a look at RothnRoll for example, a prime example of the curse in action, the F is better as it takes longer for the curse to reach the guitar

:D

wow. this is a new one for me.

• Members

why not get a les tremlike reverend uses instead of a Bigsby?

It's been a few year since I bought my Les Trem, but I found it to be a poorly design, weakly manufactured hunk o' crap.

Plus, it would probably be a bigger PITA to retrofit to a Tele than any Bigsby setup.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I don't think I've seen that B16 before. That seems to be the way to go since it eliminates the front tension bar which adds a bit too much stiffness to the trem action.

Which is why I have in mind to put one on our other Tele, a baritone in the works. Be warned, though, the B16 has a flatter break angle over the bridge than the B5, so expect Jazzmaster/Jaguar-like issues to be dealt with, although the compensated bridge with well-grooved saddles should do its thing fine, provided neck is well shimmed.

Elderly seems to have the best prices on the kit, BTW.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/B16N.htm

Archived