Is it me, my gear, or something else?

strat6866

• Members
I think that happens to every one. There are days when the sound coming from the amp is amazingly beuatiful and I can play for hours. There are other days, when it just sounds like ass and it's a struggle to finish 15 minutes. I think it has more to do with my mood than anything equipment-related.

Agreed. I think its our brains telling us to get outside and enjoy the rest of life for a change. Or our ears saying "thanks for the f**king abuse over the years". :eek:

• Members

I disagree with the mood argument.

My theory is that it's bad/unstable power coming into the house. I noticed that my house's power can fluctuate quite a bit - which in turn affects stuff in the house. Particularly my amp.

How I first noticed this was that my amp will make a clicking sound now and then. First I thought the amp was at fault. I actually traded one amp in because of this. Then, when the new amp fresh out of the box did it as well, I came to the conclusion that it was the power. Since then I've taken notice of the sound quality of the amp against the magnitude of the clicking. More clicking usually means the amp will sound weak. Less clicking, or even no clicking usually results in a really good amp sound.

I'm sure that mood can affect your perception, as can your position in the room, but I think that the power coming in affects the sound the most. Good, stable power = good stable sound. Fluctuationg "dirty" power = weaker/thinner/muddier sound.

Archived