New Pups

56'Classic

• Members

No offence mate but that guitar must have set you back quite a bit. Have you tried it out in your rig yet before deciding that you have to switch out the pickups?

I mean, why spend so much on a nice guitar and then modify it before giving it a chance?

• Members

Yeah man, was the dream guitar, has gained $500 in value already so I'm earning it back lol. I've had it since December of 05' and she sounds great, but I don't get the sustain that you'd expect out of a Paul : /

I need hotter pickups because I play lead. So I was wondering if a JB and a Alnico II Pro would match up well in a Paul, it has the thicker 50s style neck btw. Thanks again

• Members

Yeah man, was the dream guitar, has gained $500 in value already so I'm earning it back lol. I've had it since December of 05' and she sounds great,
but I don't get the sustain that you'd expect out of a Paul
: /

I need hotter pickups because I play lead. So I was wondering if a JB and a Alnico II Pro would match up well in a Paul, it has the thicker 50s style neck btw. Thanks again

As a fellow LP/Marshall guy, I agree that the LP doesn't quite live up to the expected sustain when you first get into playing it.

But I think going from BB's to other similar pups (like JB or Alnico II Pro---they're all alnico mags) will NOT make a noticeable difference in sustain.

You said you have a TSL, right? You can tweak the TSL to give you longer sustain....I did that with my DSL100. Lowering the pups helps a lot, as does all the fine tuning of the guitar, like nut lube, string height, etc.

I just don't think you'll get a big difference in sustain by these pup swaps.

Archived