Wiring Help!: Humming

dilin

• Members

Hi,

I just finished installing a Seth Lover bridge into my new (used) Samick Artist LP. I replaced all the pots as well, as the original ones were used and crackling pretty bad.

The volume and tone control works as they should. However, there was this humming sound whenever I rolled back the volume, or increased the tone. It turned quiet with the volume at 10 and the tone at 0. When I touch the strings and bridge, there was this extra humming noise, which went away quite a bit when I touch the cord jack.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

• Members

If it's any help, the current wiring: the cap is connected to the pickup's hot wire, and subsequently to lug 1 of tone pot. The center tone pot is soldered to ground. Lug 3 of tone pot is open.

Thanks.

• Members

The jack and grounds are all spot on.

I'll try moving the cap from the pickup-in lug on the volume pot to the switch-out lug on the volume pot. Maybe I have my hot and ground reversed on the tone pot.

Any more suggestions?

• Members

Na. Your grounds are NOT spot on. Somewhere you have reversed or not connected a ground.

I'd leave it for a day and start again with the assumption that everything I've done is wrong.

+1

Did you ground the bridge, connect the ground on all the pots, and shield the cavity? Also, make sure you're not playing next to a big CRT monitor or anything else that can cause your pickups to hum.

• Members

Na. Your grounds are NOT spot on. Somewhere you have reversed or not connected a ground.

I'd leave it for a day and start again with the assumption that everything I've done is wrong.

Haha.. Thanks for pointing that out! I was under the assumption that merely wiring the ground to the back of the pots are sufficient? Or do I need to connect all grounds together, ie, neck pickup ground to bridge pickup ground, volume pot middle lug ground to tone pot first lug ground?

Sorry for all this, I know minimal soldering but for electronics I'm a total noob... It's preventing me from enjoying my new pickup..

Hope you guys can be patient and guide me through this. :) Thanks!

• Members

Look here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2h_2v_2t_3w.html

Yes, you need to connect all the grounds together. If that wiring diagram doesn't match your set-up (I think it should, you said LP), just go to seymourduncan.com and under support, there are wiring diagrams which should match what ever your current set-up.

HTH

Haha.. Thanks for pointing that out! I was under the assumption that merely wiring the ground to the back of the pots are sufficient? Or do I need to connect all grounds together, ie, neck pickup ground to bridge pickup ground, volume pot middle lug ground to tone pot first lug ground?

Sorry for all this, I know minimal soldering but for electronics I'm a total noob... It's preventing me from enjoying my new pickup..

Hope you guys can be patient and guide me through this.
:)
Thanks!

• Members

I got it! Thanks folks!!

I wired the bridge ground and the jack ground together; the tone and volume grounds together, and the switch ground to the pickup's braid.

Voila!

The Seth Lovers are a little different from my 59s... The bass and treble were a bit loose, I need to EQ my amp to prevent them from overdriving too much.

That said, it responses beautifully to my picking dynamics, and the mids are awesome! Sweet and singing, a bit "honky" and compressed however. I only have one at the bridge, I guess soon I'll spring for the neck version as well!

Thanks again guys!!

Archived